Quill to A-Head Adaptor...Anyone Used?

designer1

Old School Hero
Im in a running debate in my head as to which system to use with my Kula project...

Quill stem - Probably Velocity/Syncros with P2's

Due to the handlebar i have for this project, i may need to convert from Quill to A/Head - which will involve the use of an adaptor - Has anyone used one and if so what was the thing like - Just dont want to take a chance on something as important as steering! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Also if i was fortunate enough to find a long steerer threaded set - whats people thoughts on using it with an a-head system??? Would the surface area clamped provide enough purchase???

Please dont shoot me down in flames - just airing my thoughts!

Thanks

I'm using a alloy quill adapter bought from Chain reaction, had it fitted for over a year now with no problems (nice and sturdy).
I think clamping a alloy stem over a threaded area on fork sounds a bit iffy, you might end up closing the slot trying to secure it.

I cant really see a problem where part or even all of the stem is clamped to a quill extension going into the steerer
I mean,when you tighten up a normal quill stem,it doesnt move,why then should the extension move, its clamped the same way with the same forces acting upon it.
Of course im basing it on the steerer being steel and not alloy and Ahead and not threaded
I dont like the look of the extensions that clamp over the outside of the steerer,seems the wrong way to do it

--------------------------------------------

I'm probably going to have to use an extension to give me more height to a pace steerer,and if i feel its unsafe in any way ill take it off,ill find out in hopefully a couple of weeks

I've used one for a year with no problems at all.

I wouldn't clamp to a threaded steerer, I read a thread about that on here somewhere and everyone thought it was a bad idea.

If you are near a Decathlon then they have them really cheap, about £7 I think.

Possibly a silly question, but do you need to change the headset to use one of these adaptors? Or do you keep the threaded headset and it just clamps of the top..??

unocogero":1027s7xh said:
You keep your threaded headset, the adapter just works like a quill stem with no stem bit on it.

To preload the headset bearings put the wheel against a corner of your room the waggle the stem/adaptor back and forth till its tightish[trial and error]then tighten up the bolt ,check to see if its not too tight not too loose and if everythings ok,then tighten up the stem bolts

BBB adaptor from dotbike is cool, as it has a hollow expander, so you can still use a compressive top-cap andan A-head headset if you need to. A true steerer extender.

And the hope ringo star is useful if you need to get some preload on board when you're using a conversion system that doesn't allow a compressive top-cap. .

here's one i made earlier..... £5 from crc

lochymay061.jpg

Back