Muddy Fox Courier project

TW85

Retro Guru
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I guess new to riding retro bikes

I recently inherited a Muddy Fox Courier from '86-ish, it's got no wheels or seat but virtually everything else still on it looks original. It's a pretty awesome looking bike, I'm just wondering if you know whether I can stick some skinny road wheels on it? I want to use it to get to work every day

The only other problem is it has quite a few scratches on it with the rust showing underneath. Does anyone know if it would be easy to get a matching pearlescent paint and if there is any way I could get new decals to make this beast look a bit less, well, old?

Thanks

Mmm Muddy Fox! I have a tatty purple and white pearlescent 1989 model with a U-brake on the chainstay, is yours like that? I think a correct paint match with pearlescent would be difficult.

Getting stickers made up shouldn't be a problem via someone on this site. In fact if you find someone to make them and they're a reasonable price, can you let me know? I might give my bike some TLC then.

well this is the ladies' version

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2043/184 ... e8.jpg?v=0

this is the only picture I could find with the same style of writing, all the others have a small yellow box wit the writing in, maybe mine's a bit of a later model? It looks easier to copy though

It's the same off-white colour, but has a mega-awesome horizontal top tube. I think it would make an excellent town bike if I can put some thinner wheels in

I'll post a picture when I get a chance

Cheers mate, I rang up and they quoted £170 plus postage ( I live in London) for a repaint and decals, I thought this was quite a lot so I rang up a few local shops in London to see what they could do

They gave me a guy's number who who in the 80's used to paint this bike with this colour, has both the exact colour and decals in stock, and said he'd do it for £90 all in!

I've just washed it and it's not in such bad condition as I thought. I'll get the repaint done in a few months I reckon, not exactly a priority

Here is a picture

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/u ... C00381.jpg

And here's a pic of my other project, it's a 1999 GT Outpost Trail in an attractive metallic snot colour

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b76/u ... C00382.jpg

Yes, the chain really is that rusty

Good to see commitment to the cause. :cool:

Its had a few bashings I see but ya could always live with the patina and maybe replace a sticker or 2 as an alternative.

I'm pretty sure that's an '87. My brother had the exact same bike and though it's been a few years, I remember it being a great, solid ride. All the parts even down to pedals, grips and cables look like originals to me.

Incidentally, my route home takes me past another '87 Courier locked up outside Gospel Oak station in north London that doesn't seem to have moved in a while. I wonder if a "let me pay you peanuts to take your obviously unused bike off your hands" note would work? :)

Back