First STi units...were when?

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
A friend popped a frame around yesterday for me to strip...Diamond Back Axis pro or something....anyway the frame's scrap.
Noticed the XT Canti brake levers and shifters were STi (I'm assuming that means integrated units)...hadn't seen early ones before. When did they first come out?
Cheers
Carl

STi came out 90/91...I had the early push-push type 300LX on my Raleigh Mirage. All early STi units were brake levers and gear shifters combined

I'd say about 90/91 as well. Although the 200GS STI were actually separates but with a plastic cover to make them look 1 piece (not that you could buy them separately though).

STI stands for Shimano Total Integration. How sad am I to know that! :oops:

Is there a list of all the abbreviations?
STI - Shimano total integration
SLR - Shimano linear response
SIS - shimano index system
SPD - Shimano pedalling dynamics
SG - Superglide
HG - Hyperglide

etc...

Ooooh...and a list/gallery of all the groupset codes?

If you mean RapidFire units they came out with the 1990 groupsets. (aka late 1989)

Same year Deore XT groupset came back (it was XT-II before that)

As for STI that would be the same year (year earlier for road bikes ?, though that STI is more inline with the dualcontrols of modern MTB bikes) and was as you say the combined Brake Lever/Shifter setup.
(Actually STI is the integration of everything, mechs etc.. e.g. a Groupset concept)

Link here for history
http://corporate.shimano.com/publish/co ... story.html

XT one is not the 1990 versions, but the revised versions of 1991 with SLR+ (I still love the look of the window in the XT unit here)

Attachments

• LX RF SLR.JPG
    LX RF SLR.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 1,058
  • DX RF SLR.JPG
    DX RF SLR.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,058
  • XT RF SLR+.JPG
    XT RF SLR+.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,058
Got DX on my Fisher Montare in 91.The first push/push shifters were rubbish,mine lasted 5 months and were then replaced for thumbies which also meant new brake levers,got it all under warrenty though :cool:

Back