One for the EWR afficianados

Crell

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I stumbled across this with 20 minutes to go.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280346527397&rvr_id=&mfe=sidebar

I was very close to bidding but:

That brace in the stays - I don't recall seeing one like that before?

On all the EWRs I've seen there's been 1 inch+ of seat tube above where the brace intersects?

Is this an EWR - Certainly looks like one, and if so which model? Kinda kicking mself now for not bidding but I only got the email saying he'd ship to the UK a minute after bidding ended :(

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Spotted it a week ago....I think they did make a trials frame...Utahdog will probably be along to confirm :!:

neilll":1n3c291v said:
Spotted it a week ago....I think they did make a trials frame...Utahdog will probably be along to confirm :!:

That's an Original Woods, one of the mid-run models with horizontal dropouts and cranks/heel clearance indentions in the chainstays. The brazed on seat clamp pinch bolts have been removed and replaced with a collar, and the top braze-on for the seat-tube mounted water bottle went with it. The frame has been modified with disc brake tabs in the back, which explains the (really overbuilt) stay bracing. No 'Fresh Frame' logo on the non-drive side, so it's been sprayed. OWBs were often used as stock trials bikes, which explains why this one is set up the way it is, and why it's in Germany in the first place. I don't know why you'd want a disc on a trials bike though...unless you never fall to the left...maybe? :?

Looks like it sold pretty cheap, as the "Natty EWR" eBay link that was posted here a few months ago went for over $300 and it was just a frame and rough at that.

So to sum it up. Probably a 96 OWB, seat collar modified, disc brake added, resprayed at least once, and used as a trials frame. :cool: Not too bad a deal for that winner I'd say.

Here's the back of my 94's seat tube, you can see that the auction frame is cut off about where my little skull guy there has his forhead... That is quite a chop job on the pinch bolt after all...I may have stayed away from that auction too. :?

Maybe the seller chopped it off to get the seat tube shorter for trials? :?:

Attachments

• IM002889.JPG
    IM002889.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 596
Thanks, I thought it looked "authentic enough" but some of those details were bothering me.

Still quite a deal though for the winner I think.

...my time will come :)

Back