WRA Crank .... Help, Help,Help

Sithlord

Old School Grand Master
I wondered if any one can help regarding a set of WRA cranks that I have.

I have had a look on the internet with no success.. so its over to you guys..

I have been having problems with the chain dropping down onto the granny ring since owning these, seems to always get jammed between the middle and granny.. after having a closer look at the spider, it appears that the spacing inbetween the rings is different :?

The outer and middle rings seem to be spaced around 3-4mm apart whereas the granny ring seems to be spaced around 5-6mm ...

Are there compact granny rings that are 'dished' inward towards the middle ring slightly to allow for this or is there another solution ?

Here is a photo of the different spacing..

P1020822.jpg

And here is a pic of the spider with the rings attached..
P1020823.jpg

It appears that the spider almost needs reducing in thickness to allow the granny ring to fit nearer to the middle ring...

Can anyone suggest anything please.. ?

Is it maybe the thickness of the middle ring? What kind is it?

Hi Kaiser.. They are Ritchey Compact rings, I'll have a look and see if some TA ones are any different... I thought rings may vary in thickness slightly, but thought that, where the teeth are, would be the same, regardless of thickness of the actual ring.. :? But I'll have a look at the TA ones and return.. ;)

Thanks fella... good suggestion... ;) :) (even though you are scottish.. :LOL: :LOL: )

Erse forgot about that............ eh aye I'm sure it'll be fine :LOL: Is it the ritchey rings from the 2X9 kit?

Erse forgot about that............ eh aye I'm sure it'll be fine Is it the ritchey rings from the 2X9 kit?

:LOL: :LOL: Yea it is the rings from the 2x9 fella.. ;) and NO it wont be fine... :LOL: :LOL: ,

P.S... I've always got another chainset to fall back on for the big event :LOL: :LOL:

You're missing the spacers between the spider and the middle ring. They are thin 1mm spacers that will push the middle ring over so that it's all evenly spaced. Also make sure you are using an 8 speed chain and not a 9 speed!

Hey Pete.. cheers fella , Doh! 1 mm spacers .. never got any of those with the crank :roll: I'll have a search in the workshop and see if I have owt..

And yea I am using a 8 speed chain chap...;)

If I hav'nt got any spacers , any idea where I can get some from please.. ?

I would have thought that the ring wouldn't have been designed to work with a granny? You could try billys BMX for spacers, think thats were I got some last time.

kaiser":1tp6khkq said:
I would have thought that the ring wouldn't have been designed to work with a granny? You could try billys BMX for spacers, think thats were I got some last time.

Great minds think alike:

http://www.billys.co.uk/english/group.p ... id-spacers

It may not have been designed with spacers in mind but I have seen a number of those and many others using washers and spacers to get everything aligned.

That middle ring is quite thin, it's not a 9 speed is it as they were designed thinner for the smaller ring spacing that 9 speed has, have you tried another 8 speed ring in the middle?

Back