Moral dilemna: how retro do you go?

drifting james

Old School Hero
Hi all,

Have bought a lovely Retro dynatech frame, identical to the one I had as a teen that got me into mountain biking all those years ago. My original was in team colours and had a full complement of suntour xc pro. It was great.

Anyhow, enough dwelling on the past... By purchasing another, I now realise what dilemna I've got myself into... this is the equivelant of meeting your 1st girlfriend 15 years on. I'm worried that when it is built up, I am not going to have the fun I remembered.

So... do I do a fully sympathetic retro build? or do I add some modern compoenents to my retro frame and forks?

If I go retro, I will avoid XC pro and am thinking shimano xt. could anyone point me in the direction of all the xt components that were produced in 1991.

has anyone else had experience of mixing retro and modern? please let me know your thoughts.

J

1991 will be M730/M735 XT components. back then they did everything down to the seatpost, headset, seat bolt etc

Go full retro :D no point trying to make it a modern bike if you've got one. Ok there may be a bit of rose tinted glasses thinking back but riding retro gives another dimension to your trails.

plenty of people mix it up a bit and run some modern kit. some people use a retro frame and kit the bike fully modern.

only you know the answer of what to do!

if it was mine i'm do it fully retro and relive life with your ex. at least she wont be any fatter!

Full Retro-If you want to use modern stuff, get a modern frame to go with it. Then, with TWO bikes, you get the best of both worlds!

Yeah i'd go for a retro build. You will enjoy it more I reckon, and if you don't I can take the dyna tech frame for all my parts to be transfered over from my mtrax :LOL:

Retro

Got to build it retro. I went out on my cinder cone today and the ride is different to my modern stumpies.

Cheers kirbdug

I'm already kicking myself.

I log onto a website called retrobike, and ask you good folk whether I should do a retrobuild. Doh.

That saild, I am coming round to your way of thinking. I love the modern mbike, but like the idea of hitting the trails with a fully old school dyna. Maybe full retro it is.

Appreciate more feedback. If this works out good, perhaps I will be coming back to you all for relationship advice ;)

Finally, I'm sorry Greenfinger. This bike is not for sale.

Back