anyone actually swapped saddle rails before??

lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
following on from my thread where i bought a broken flite saddle, i now have a good rail courtesy of daveaasmith (cheers)

brute force and ignorance has removed the rails from both saddles but i now need to reinstall the good rails into the good saddle.

has anyone done this before? there must be an easy(ish) way as they obviously do it in the factory without scratching or breaking anything!

i have actually hury my chest muscles heaving on the bloody thing!

i done it as a lad and from what i can remember the front went in first then i clamped a set of vice grips just up from where the rail goes into the hole in the underside and bent it in one side at a time.

it was'nt easy........ :D

a workbench mounted vice & some strong friends with a degree of patience is all thats needed.
after a nasty crash in plymouth i've seen a single rail put back in using nothing but a cool tool & brute force

From memory I belive its a bugger of a job,I failed to do it in the past but a mate took it away and suprised me,the next flite that I pulled the rails out went in the bin,couldn't let him get one over on me again :twisted:

I'll lock myself in the shed tomorrow might and not come out till they are in then. Will swearing help?

any I have done i've put the two ends in the back first then got the front over, the rounded end helps to guide it in , a bit of grease helps as does a metal tyre lever

Good luck

still struggling on this! not had chance to get it in a vice yet though.

i'm not off to bed tonight untill its done!

i would clamp one rail into the seatpost at a time and then manipulate the hull and rail until its in

this is rediculous its still not in.

its a better work out than the gym i can tell you!

tried brute force and ignorance, calculated engineering aproaches, hammers, clamps bars, running round the corner and trying to suprise it, jumping up and down like a kid, hitting head against the wall.

got very close a couple of times but still no luck. i have left it with my dad - dad's can always fix stuff.

we recon that in the factory they must stretch the plastic at the nose of the saddle.

possibly an embarassing time to ask this but... does the alpes have the same rails as the standard flite...?

Back