SPD servicing, how the.........

jango

Senior Retro Guru
.......F@@k do I tighten the bearing lock nut without overtightening the bearings, there's simply not enough room to get the tools in there to hold the cone while tightening the locknut against it :evil:

No doubt there's a Shimano Special Tool No............. :roll:

Thanks for that, I've got the 535s, it would appear that a sleeve should be removed too.....I've been trying to adjust mine in-situ :roll:

Now how do I get the sleeve out, anyone got a TL-PD40 tool?

I used to have the 535's and they've got the same collar as the 737's.
You'll need this tool if you haven't already worked that out:

I'm confused :? I can see what the tool does on the 737 pedals in the .pdf you posted.......but my 535s have no splined collar.

To remove the axle, I undid the locknut and cone thingie and popped the axle out of the pedal body.....easy, the problem is when I attempt to retighten the locknut after regreasing the bearings I can't 'grab hold' of the cone nut to stop it moving as I tighten the locknut (the pedal body is in the way).

It appears in the .pdf as if the 'plastic sleeve' within my pedal body should be removed and assembled on the axle, the bearings tensioned, and then the whole assembly put back in the pedal body.........

........what am I missing :?

Ah I see. I've currently got a set of PD-M535's and I've had a look and you're right. They don't have the Plastic collar. I also used to have a set of the original PD-M525's like the one's in the picture below. It seems that the MBUK article incorrectly refers to them as PD-M535's which confused me into giving you some duff info.

I'll try to put this right...

The tools you'd need for servicing the PD-M535's are one of these two sets:
http://www.petracycles.co.uk/pedal-cone ... 12802.html
or
http://www.petracycles.co.uk/pd33-pedal ... 12804.html

They are very expensive though.

I've found that you can tighten the locknut by holding the larger threaded cone in place with a thin bladed screwdriver and tightening the locknut with a narrow 8mm socket. It takes a bit of trial and error and alot of patience but you'll get there in the end.
I try to avoid disassembling them because reassembly can be rather tricky. The best way to keep them running smoothly is to flush them through with fresh grease about once a year.
Obviously this won't help now that you've got them in pieces...

Attachments

• PD-M525.jpg
    PD-M525.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,162
They are very expensive though.

you're not kidding :shock:

I've found that you can tighten the locknut by holding the larger threaded cone in place with a thin bladed screwdriver and tightening the locknut with a narrow 8mm socket. It takes a bit of trial and error and alot of patience but you'll get there in the end.

that's what I've done.....but I'm not convinced I've got them tight enough, visions of them unscrewing on my next ride :roll:

They are my original set so have been running for over 10years, but I did find grass in there.........probably from SITS last year :roll: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for your help :D

I've had my set from new; so about about 12 years now, and they've been rebuilt maybe twice using the screwdriver method. The last time must've been at least 5 years ago. I've not had any problems with them working loose.... yet.

Good to be able to help out.

I don't remember these being so expensive! :shock: Stupid Shimano price increases! :evil:

The Shimano tools are nothing special (apart from having Shimano stamped on them). Just go down to you local tool shop and get some box spanners of the right size. They're probably the same thing but a lot cheaper.

Back