Travel adjustment on 1998 Judy SL?

mechagouki

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm in the middle of my first Xizang build and I've got the frame/fork/wheels together - the fork is a 1998 Judy SL Long Travel which I think makes it an 80mm fork, I'm thinking that it might be smart to reduce the travel to 63mm, does anyone on here know how this is done? I don't really want to buy any parts to do this (even if I could actually find a source) I do have a bag of assorted Judy parts but no idea what they are for. Any help hugely appreciated.

the way this was done was to replace both the damper cartridge and the dummy rod assembly from 80mm versions to 63mm versions..

what you could do is add a longer top out spring/elastomer/rubber bumper to the dummy rod and possibly one in the damper cart too if you are mechanically competent enough to do this...

then slightly reduce the length of the elastomer stack / spring to compensate.. this would probably leave you with a fork thats a bit too soft though!

so youd probably need a stiffer spring or you could just try and squash the original spring/elastomer in there and live with the extra preload that creates..

its all a bit of a bodge though unless you have the specific shorter travel internals...

alternativley try and find a retrobiker with short travel forks that fancies a swap! :LOL:

Back