What have I bought?

mrkawasaki

Retrobike Rider
Left a bid hanging for this Orbit frame whilst I was away and was surprised to 'win' considering the low amount tendered... so what can the esteemed tell me about Orbit?

Where made, when etc. would be a start!

Mr K

Attachments

• Orbit 531.JPG
    Orbit 531.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 956
As I recall it they are/were a UK manufacturer BITD. Mainly doing touring and tandem stuff. There is a 501 framed Orbit in my sister's garage with a full Exage Mtn groupset on it, Flexstem and Mavic M6 rims. Period piece.

They were good bikes from a little manufacturer. They were based in Sheffield IIRC. Touring mostly, but also a bit of road and a couple of mountain bikes with a touring bent. The owner retired in the end.
That will be quite a nice bike you have there.

hand to forehead - '' yes, yes its coming through, I see it now, racks, drops, bar-end levers and a smile...''

For more Cheese predictions, just add a bare frame

Nice

Mr K, i bet that was a nice surprise? Finding out you won a pretty unique looking frame for little dosh :cool:

It looks very nicely built. Well done!

Orbit actually started in Dudley, nr Wolverhampton

I think it was started by the Clements family

That frame looks about 88-90- a coworker at the time had one in fluo fade. Were quite nice for the time- those were made pretty well, later bkes suffered badly from QC issues.

Once Simon took over he eventually moved the business to Sheffield- a very nice guy but probably ahead of his time. I remember his rep touring the UK with a custom made cycle trailer towing all the demo bikes behind him!!

Tyre clearance was rubbish from memory. As you can probably guess i sold these for a number of years :) . Used to do a factory tour in Dudley every year or so.............

Andy

i raced a 653 orbit bitd, although mine came from truro cycles & was branded as their own. lovely frame, fillet brazed, rode well. had cables moved to top tube, roller for fr mech added & muddie &rack mounts removed, painted met torquoise with pink/ purple splatter.
was robbed in 94 while i was in basic training....... sniff..... sob
got some pics somewhere, in it's original purple/ dayglow pink paint.

I went to the factory in Dudley to size up a cyclo-cross frame (didn't get it in the end - have a love of Allens), they had Roger Hammond's World Champ's winning bike sitting there; I went a bit starry eyed!

Back