Royce BB's - squeaky?

LeeDevelopment

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Now please bear in mind that I'm as deaf as a plank, pardon? I had a Royce fitted to a bike way back when however I wouldn't have known if it squeaked, eh? So...do they squeak when pedalling, sorry? Is there a remedy, huh?

Now, over to you chaps! Wha'?

oh buggery bollocks, I was sure there were some Royce BB's for sale around 50 quid somewhere, I can't find them now :'(

Royce

They are not known for their reliability and yes can be creaky and a devil to get the cranks seated well as the tapers can often be not that well cut. There are better brackets out there!

My 2 Royces don't squeak. But to be fair, they are both on bikes that don't get out very much....

I do believe that those that applied grease to the axle tapers and then put the arms on had trouble. From memory you are NOT meant to grease em but put them on dry. Mine fitted in 1993 Never squeeked to this day. Currently off the road being restored, the bike not the BB which is as good as the day it was installed and it has been around the block many many times.
I am shocked with regard to the comment about them not being well cut. Can you give an example. I am keen to learn more. :D :D

Re: Royce

Wold Ranger":184525z5 said:
They are not known for their reliability and yes can be creaky and a devil to get the cranks seated well as the tapers can often be not that well cut. There are better brackets out there!

:shock: I had one in my TT bike for 10 years and it never creaked and never gave me any trouble at all. The same with the 4 other people I know have them.

I would like to know why you say they're not known to be reliable as well.

I have to admit that I'd never heard about these apparent problems until now. I've used a Royce before without any problems...

Now the Hope ti B/B I had several years ago used to squeak like a b@$t@rd! Bloody annoying. Think I still have it knocking around in a spares box somewhere.

My Royce is going on 15 years old having gone though two bikes. The bearing are still smooth and I do not recall them creaking. I always though Royce was considered one of the best BBs out there.

I would like to know what issues they currently have. Can you steer me to the forums than explains the issues please?

Back