Presta vs Schrader

Always been schrader off road and presta on road. With me it dates back to when air at the filling station was free. I am thinking of changing though. I just need to find some Garfield dust caps in presta size.

I prefer presta valves myself as they're easier to get in the longer sizes for deep section wheels. Even if you can't get the long valves you can always fit the valve extensions. That, plus the fact they're slightly lighter, and they look better when you use bullet dust caps. ;)

I had a hell of a job finding the 48mm valve schraeder tubes to fit my Fir Polar rims, and even then they could do with being about 5-6mm longer. :x

Presta are lighter generally and the valves look a lot smarter but i find them to be fiddly and have broken more than one on winter rides in the middle of nowhere with numb fingers. Also can't use garage forecourt to inflate unless you have an adapter, by carrying which you lose the weight advantage.

Xesh":113rdkka said:
I prefer presta valves myself as they're easier to get in the longer sizes for deep section wheels. Even if you can't get the long valves you can always fit the valve extensions. That, plus the fact they're slightly lighter, and they look better when you use bullet dust caps. ;)

I had a hell of a job finding the 48mm valve schraeder tubes to fit my Fir Polar rims, and even then they could do with being about 5-6mm longer. :x

Specialized do ones with a 60mm valve!!

I have changed to presta because my rims are drilled for presta and you can't get a schraeder head through!! Anyone want to swap 5 schreaders for 5 prestas?! ;)

presta for me too. don't know why but I find they hold air better? though it was probably bugger all to do with the valve

Maybe because you can tighten the valve whereas schraeder valves rely on air pressure and a tiny spring....

Back