How Do I Paint My Dyna-Tech Ti Forks?

carlton dyna-tech

Old School Hero
Was after some forks for my MT5 build and spotted these ex-display ones on Ebay. According to the seller they are structually-sound and have never been fitted to a machine. They are unusual in that they have text on them referring to the specs of the forks (ie: average weight; bonded joint technology for lightness and strength; etc).

I would ideally like to get them sprayed the same colour as the headset and rear stays of my MT5 (Violet) and have the Dyna-Tech logos added, however, because of the quirkiness of being an ex-display model I'm wondering whether I should keep them as they are. So, a couple of questions:

1. Should I retain the forks in 'display' look and fit them to the MT5?
2. Should I get them sprayed to match the frame?
3. If I do decide to spray them, how easy is it to get them sprayed as I believe heat is involved in the process and this would affect the integrity of the bonding, wouldn't it?

As usual, any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Attachments

• dyna-tech-ti-forks.jpg
    dyna-tech-ti-forks.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,623
So I lost out to a fellow retrobiker. Nevermind. :LOL:

They look great and I am sure they'll paint up nicely. I'd leave them as they are though. But that's personal.

If you ever want to part with them let me know. :cool:

I wouldn't worry about heat being involved, most good resprayers do carbon fibre frames that have a lot more glue in them than these forks, so as long as your clear with them before they start then you should be fine.

Personally I'd leave as is because you'll never get a perfect match for another colour unless its black or white, so it will probably look a little odd when sprayed. As you say the quirkiness of these forks is quite special and would make me want to keep then as is!

I'd wait for another set to come up to respray :)

You don't wanna paint titanium. That's the whole point of the stuff! Anyways if the forks are unusual, you wouldn't want to remove your bike's unique feature?

Iwasgoodonce":sl9eiyu7 said:
You don't wanna paint titanium. That's the whole point of the stuff! Anyways if the forks are unusual, you wouldn't want to remove your bike's unique feature?

agreed

titanium is ment to be au naturel, keep them as is

Dammit
I wanted these too,i forgot the finishing time and missed out
Pray tell-what did you get them for? :?

Personally i think they look good[despite what other members think]
:cool:
UPDATE
Went for £20 more than i would have bid :roll:
Rare little gem though ,Well done keeping them in the family :D

if it was me id consign them to " too good to use " and make a display case to put them in :oops:

perry":163mn0l6 said:
if it was me id consign them to " too good to use " and make a display case to put them in :oops:
I'd consign them "too UGLI to look at" and put them on a bike :)

Would you look at them, they are interesting.
They do look kind of prototype-ish what with the info and all? -is the crown properly painted, if not it might need a coat to stop it corroding.
Naked and bare for the legs though..

Back