HS22...now bleeding q's :-)

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Morning
Just realised that the set of HS22 brakes I have are set up American stylee with the rear lever on the rhs and vice versa.
Any chance I could try and quickly swap them over...or do you think I'm looking at a full bleed afterwards?
Where would you disconnect the cable...lever end or piston end and what would I need for a bleed.
Cheers
Carl

I've have to remove the cable from my 33's (the rear) I un-do from the lever then cut the tip off and slip on anther black metal tip then screw back. I never had any problems and have done this 4 times. And will have to do it a 5th when I get brakes after a respray. You job sounds like you need anther pair of hands. :D

Thanks TT...I'll have a look on their web-site for a picture or two. I will need new olives then....was hoping the cables would just screw out :? :D

I've done this before without using new olives. Then again it was on a brand new set, not a s/h one.

Before you undo the hose make sure that the pads are fully retracted into the slave cylinders using the adjuster on the lever. Probably a small allen key for your model.

If you're just swapping the hoses around then do it at the lever end.

One tip is to tape the end of the hose to a board. The hoses are sufficiently springy that they tend to flick when undone, which then causes some oil to be lost.....giving the dreaded air bubbles.

Did it today......easy but lost some fluid from one side. But it all looks daft anyway.....I'll try to explain.
The piston hose on the levers is now the lower connection on the lever.
This inserts to the outer on the pistons.
It all looks wrong. I'm just gonna pull it apart and do a proper job.
Erm...how do you bleed them...know hopw on a motorcycle but these are so small and cute :LOL: :LOL:

Right..ordered a bleed kit.
I'm going to remove everything and put it back together. I'm guessing that it doesn't matter where the hose etc go. For example....you have two 'holes' in the levers. One for the hose, one for the blocking screw. Doesn't matter which one goes where?
Ditto on the pistons?
Ta, Carl

There should be one allen headed bolt on the pistons, this is where you attach the syringe filled with oil. On the lever end it's better to have the hose attached to the lower hole and the outlet hose attached to the upper hole (where the blocking screw is). On the pistons you'll find that 3 of the holes are the same size and one is slightly smaller. The smaller one is where you bleed the brake from.

When you're bleeding the system attach the full syringe first and then undo the bleed screw on the lever. The idea is to have only one end open at all times. If you have to re-fill the syringe to bleed a second time (which you probably will) you have to re-fit the bleed screw in the lever and then remove the syringe. Also it's best if you make sure that the handlebars are tilted upwards to allow the air to travel up the brake hose. It also helps to flick the hose while bleeding to help dislodge any air. IIrc the lever also has to be turned on the bar so the bleed screw is at the highest point (ie with the lever about 45 degrees above the bar).

It's one of those jobs that's easy when you know how but it's still fiddly.

There should be full instructions in the bleed kit. If not then you can always go to the Magura website and dl them from there.

Back