Can you powdercoat alu frames?

Crayons

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm finally getting to the stage where I want to have the Stratos frame re-welded

Having spent hours trying to polish out the pitting on the frame I'm resigning myself to having the frame powdercoated in silver (if silver can be done).

My concern is that the heat process of powder coating might have an adverse effect on the frame (RM's early frames being 7000 series alu)

Thoughts anyone?

I seen plenty of powder coated aluminium frames. A mate of mine had a relatively modern GT Avalanche frame done and it broke at the head-tube a few months later. He had run it with overlong forks, then as a singlespeed and is legendary for his cack handedness and lack of finesse when riding.
So I'm not sure whether the heating process involved with powder coating weakened the frame, or whether my mate just killed it, but it has left me asking the same question as you.

The sort of temperatures involved in heating the powder coat should not come close to having any issue with the aluminium.

the powdercoating will not be the issue here, im worried about the welding. 7000 series frames are heat treated, welding undoes this process, so will be weaker around the weld area. be carefull.

kanerdog1x1":332zmc4o said:
the powdercoating will not be the issue here, im worried about the welding. 7000 series frames are heat treated, welding undoes this process, so will be weaker around the weld area. be carefull.
Close, but.......

Yes with 6061, but no with 7005. 7005 does not lose it's temper as the anneal time is much much greater than 6061.

have a look here, localish to me so seen loads of their work. any colour you want, inc chrome (which looks better than it should) 2 & 3 colour filps etc
www.aerocoat.net

Latest posts

Back