HELP - Kona Explosif information required please..........

mikeoftherose

Retro Newbie
Hello,

I'm really hoping someone can help me with a couple of questions about the Kona Explosif I have as I am hoping to restore it to its former glory.

Bike Info - the frame colour is dark red/burgandy and the tubes change shape from one end to other? (not just round) it is also badged with a mountain shock logo. (all orig)

1. Firstly can anyone give me more information/documentation or point me in the right direction, As I would like to know exactly what year the frame is etc etc as I cant find anything myself on the net.

2. Secondly I am interested in having it professionaly resprayed to restore it to its former glory but I am only interested in doing this if I can match the original paint colour exactly. Is it possible to get a paint colour reference from anywhere?

3. Thirdly Im after the decals/stickers for it? found a set on ebay but they don't seem to have the mountain shock sticker.

Anyone information would be greatly appreciated....

guybe":2f9wmyz3 said:
Hello, welcome to retrobike

Q1 http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=12057 http://www.konaretro.com/showarticle.ph ... atalogues/

Q2 http://www.argoscycles.com/

Q3 member gil_m should help you with the decals.

Hope this helps and there will be others here will help out with your questions, good luck and enjoy your project Kona.

Thanks guybe,

argoscycles look just the ticket for my revamp cheers!

Looked at the gallery pics/catalogues before & none have my frame, think it might be 95/96 model????

I will try and make contact with gil_m for the decals.

Thanks again

hi looks like your local to me, i have a 96 explosif and lots of kona stuff pm me and get in touch. oh and welcome to retrobike

It's a 1995 Explosif. The 1995 catalogue isn't anywhere on the web as yet I'm afraid. The frame is similar to the ones in 1996 and 1997, made of Columbus Max OR.

If you do a search on here for Koma, you should find a 1995 Explosif that has been tastefully repainted quite recently. On the other hand, Argos have been Kona's appointed warranty repairer since way back when, so you may well find that they have repainted a 1995 Explosif before and have retained a record of the colour mix. Certainly, nobody in the UK is going to get closer to the original colour than them. It should look very much like the ones below.

The original US specification of the bike is here
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike

Attachments

• 1995 Explosif size 18 frame.jpg
    1995 Explosif size 18 frame.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 3,902
  • 1995 Explosif size 19 catalogue.jpg
    1995 Explosif size 19 catalogue.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 3,903
Anthony":3w2h2d04 said:
It's a 1995 Explosif. The 1995 catalogue isn't anywhere on the web as yet I'm afraid. The frame is similar to the ones in 1996 and 1997, made of Columbus Max OR.

If you do a search on here for Koma, you should find a 1995 Explosif that has been tastefully repainted quite recently. On the other hand, Argos have been Kona's appointed warranty repairer since way back when, so you may well find that they have repainted a 1995 Explosif before and have retained a record of the colour mix. Certainly, nobody in the UK is going to get closer to the original colour than them. It should look very much like the ones below.

The original US specification of the bike is here
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike

Anthony,

Thanks so much your a legend! Is the 1995 Exsplosif "Koma" you mention the one in the pic you attached (light one) or is there another one on the site as i can't find it? (sorry not brilliant on forums)

Going to contact argos today about the paint job/decals etc.....

Also can you advise on me on forks, I want to put a nice clean pair of black carbon forks on it. I am not a small guy 15-15.5stone (variable) and want a nice strong fork that will not fail on me & give me cosmetic surgery.
RC31? White bros? Or orig project 2's (not carbon)

Also can you advise on the size/geomitry required for the 95 exsplosif? guess they will bead threadless? so a-headset rather than the quill i have now in the mag 21's!

Cheers

mikeoftherose":1z9585n3 said:
Also can you advise on me on forks, I want to put a nice clean pair of black carbon forks on it. I am not a small guy 15-15.5stone (variable) and want a nice strong fork that will not fail on me & give me cosmetic surgery.

Also can you advise on the size/geomitry required for the 95 exsplosif? guess they will bead threadless? so a-headset rather than the quill i have now in the mag 21's!

Cheers
Yes, you will need a new headset and stem if you opt for a modern fork, although you would find a 1995 threaded Project 2 in the right size if you were patient. They come up from time to time, and you would need one with a steerer 3.2cm longer than your head tube (or more and cut it down). These are 95 P2s, to fit a size 18 frame, but he doesn't say whether they are triple-butted
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KONA-PROJECT-2-TW ... 7C294%3A50

The frame is designed for a 71 degree head angle with a 41cm (axle to crown) Project 2. Many modern rigid forks will be longer, which would slow the steering down somewhat. e.g., the shortest White Bros is 42.5cm, which will reduce the head angle by one degree.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Anthony":91t3xmpp said:
mikeoftherose":91t3xmpp said:

Cheers
Yes, you will need a new headset and stem if you opt for a modern fork, although you would find a 1995 threaded Project 2 in the right size if you were patient. They come up from time to time, and you would need one with a steerer 3.2cm longer than your head tube (or more and cut it down). These are 95 P2s, to fit a size 18 frame, but he doesn't say whether they are triple-butted
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KONA-PROJECT-2-TW ... 7C294%3A50

The frame is designed for a 71 degree head angle with a 41cm (axle to crown) Project 2. Many modern rigid forks will be longer, which would slow the steering down somewhat. e.g., the shortest White Bros is 42.5cm, which will reduce the head angle by one degree.

Thanks again Anthony,

You have really made me think on the project 2s although the ones listed on ebay apparently measure 42.5 axle to crown?

Not sure I will notice the difference if I put a slightly longer fork on as I am not exactly a hardcore rider!

Is the white brothers fork nice & strong? or is there a stronger carbon fork?

Hope you dont mind all the questions

Mike

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I would stick with the Project 2 forks, it's the one best forks out there and one of the strongest. Project 2 forks belong to steel Kona frame and you cant go wrong with that.

Latest posts

Back