Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:54 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 36  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:05 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:07 pm
Posts: 1901
Location: brighton
Love it! A welcome addition imho - something a bit different but very much in the right spirit


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:42 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:00 pm
Posts: 959
Location: Hunting down the "foxes" of lincolnshire
Mahoney1978 wrote:
Is this Araya Japanese Muddyfox allowed?


But of course Sir, cousins from across the pond, always welcome.

Have you seen my alu team pro - it's half your colour scheme 8)

And


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:46 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:59 pm
Posts: 2179
Location: Kent, UK
Mahoney1978 wrote:
Is this Araya Japanese Muddyfox allowed?



That is truly lovely, very rare in my part of the World (UK)! :D

Any more Arayas out there?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:00 am 
Retro Guru

Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:35 am
Posts: 273
Location: New Zealand
Tbh I think its a little rare here in NZ too! The guy who bought this purchased it new in Tokyo, rode it as his commuter and bought it back to NZ in the early 2000's.

Would be cool to see some more. A huge shame though, the online Araya catalogue now seems to be defunct!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:54 pm 
Newbie

Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:08 am
Posts: 4
Location: Florida
Hello. I picked up an old Pathfinder at a yard sale a couple months ago. Had to replace the tires and a cable. I absolutely love this old bike and ride it often. The only thing that I do not care for is the handlebar stem. I am thinking about trying to change it to something that will allow a more comfortable ride position. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I also plan on slowly upgrading all the components as time and funds allow. The shifters, in particular, seem to have a very sloppy movement.
I have been out of biking for several - ok, many 8) - years. Can anyone give some advice on decent, yet affordable, components? Shifters, etc?
Attachment:
Photo Jul 24, 10 34 51 AM.jpg
Photo Jul 24, 10 34 51 AM.jpg [ 399.79 KiB | Viewed 310 times ]

Attachment:
Photo Jul 24, 10 33 09 AM.jpg
Photo Jul 24, 10 33 09 AM.jpg [ 398.44 KiB | Viewed 310 times ]


MuddyFox is, apparently, very rare over here in the US. I can find no information about them here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:08 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:12 pm
Posts: 3050
Location: Yateley, Hants.
rickspathfinder wrote:
Hello. I picked up an old Pathfinder at a yard sale a couple months ago. Had to replace the tires and a cable. I absolutely love this old bike and ride it often. The only thing that I do not care for is the handlebar stem. I am thinking about trying to change it to something that will allow a more comfortable ride position. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I also plan on slowly upgrading all the components as time and funds allow. The shifters, in particular, seem to have a very sloppy movement.
I have been out of biking for several - ok, many 8) - years. Can anyone give some advice on decent, yet affordable, components? Shifters, etc?
Attachment:
Photo Jul 24, 10 34 51 AM.jpg

Attachment:
Photo Jul 24, 10 33 09 AM.jpg


MuddyFox is, apparently, very rare over here in the US. I can find no information about them here.


The overly long and flat stem is why I moved my pathfinder on, I just couldn't get on with it and it seemed like sacrilege to use it with a non-matched stem. You won't have the option though as the rarity in the US as I just got a 1989 Courier comp and replaced it with that. I would suggest that you have a look for something like 110mm-120mm with about 10 degrees of rise as this should make it more comfortable and handle a lot better.

Carl.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:08 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:48 pm
Posts: 298
Have a bit of a soft spot for these as it was the first mtb I ever saw in the 80's, never did get round to having one though.

But is it me or do the current versions look like kids cycles? You know, the kind you see in ASDA for £99.50. :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:13 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:12 pm
Posts: 3050
Location: Yateley, Hants.
superstar1 wrote:
Have a bit of a soft spot for these as it was the first mtb I ever saw in the 80's, never did get round to having one though.

But is it me or do the current versions look like kids cycles? You know, the kind you see in ASDA for £99.50. :cry:


Sadly yes, but that's what happens when you go bust and universal buy you for the name :cry:

The good thing is that they were sold in decent numbers and are well built so many survive to be enjoyed by people like yourself who remember their first look at MTB'ing in the UK as a Muddyfox advert or the jealousy over a friends Courier Comp.

Carl.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:29 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:26 pm
Posts: 16945
Location: 54 Festive Road Winchcombe GLOUCS Yarp...
drcarlos wrote:
superstar1 wrote:
Have a bit of a soft spot for these as it was the first mtb I ever saw in the 80's, never did get round to having one though.

But is it me or do the current versions look like kids cycles? You know, the kind you see in ASDA for £99.50. :cry:


Sadly yes, but that's what happens when you go bust and universal buy you for the name :cry:

The good thing is that they were sold in decent numbers and are well built so many survive to be enjoyed by people like yourself who remember their first look at MTB'ing in the UK as a Muddyfox advert or the jealousy over a friends Courier Comp.

Carl.


Yes, exactly why my first bike in 25 years was an MF albeit a later FS one.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:37 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:12 pm
Posts: 3050
Location: Yateley, Hants.
The History Man wrote:
drcarlos wrote:
superstar1 wrote:
Have a bit of a soft spot for these as it was the first mtb I ever saw in the 80's, never did get round to having one though.

But is it me or do the current versions look like kids cycles? You know, the kind you see in ASDA for £99.50. :cry:


Sadly yes, but that's what happens when you go bust and universal buy you for the name :cry:

The good thing is that they were sold in decent numbers and are well built so many survive to be enjoyed by people like yourself who remember their first look at MTB'ing in the UK as a Muddyfox advert or the jealousy over a friends Courier Comp.

Carl.


Yes, exactly why my first bike in 25 years was an MF albeit a later FS one.


A rare example of a decent later one too.

Carl.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 36  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], xerxes and 29 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group