Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pace RC30 pimp rigids

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I started with a 4.5lb 1993 Orange Prestige frame with no forks but ahead stem and aheadset, I bought it really as being a rider in mind, but its got potential to be a looker, and nostalgic too :D I don't mind it being a little bit more modern than 1993 but it needs to perform well. It was mentioned in my build thread that rigid is the way to go, and makes sense with keeping the weight down, but Light sus forks are appealing too.

-Being an Orange, Pace RC35's would be nice but are they going to be any real use or just weigh it down, plus I'd need to 'fork' out to get a nice pair

-I have 2.5 pairs of (ahead) Rock Shox mag 21's now thanks to some good karma (thanks mark) and a couple RB deals, nice and retro, reasonable performers(?) just need a lick of matching paint ;)

-I have some boggo bendy forks in threaded flavour, would need headset and stem for these, a step backwards?, the flex these offer would be double edged I guess(?) shape would suit back end though.

-Pace RC30 Gonna be at least £125.00 to get some of these (and might be a real possibility of getting some) but is a lot to lash on rigid forks, they'd look right and serious(ly cool) and track well but i doubt they'd take any sting out, is this option mostly for looks or well considered for added performance?

I know all about 'Pace Orange Law' but I'm not over fussed about laws! Pace were very cool (and out of reach) to me BITD and Rock Shox on all my early MBUK's/posters :cool: We proved at the Peaks that we don't need suspension but a little bounce and front end hike might help.

weighting is summat like this
1.Performance
2.Looks/cost! (joint)

sticking with aheadset system could ram raid the bank and have two sets of forks RS and rigids, or is that overkill madness?!

:LOL:

cheers

You should be able to get to 23/24lb bike with that wieght frame and some MAG21. 24lb should be easy enough. Can't see why you would really want to go much lighter.

and in from the leftfield:

Girvin Vectors (specced on some Oranges in the mid 90's)

Marzocchi XC500/600/700

id get some new rockshox or similar and paint them to look like older judys

old suspension is wank

24/25lbs would be nice, not weighed the Mag21's yet. :)

The Vector idea is pretty exciting actually, are they any good?
I actually made some vector style forks for my final CDT project! :D

perry":2zj4t2ar said:
id get some new rockshox or similar and paint them to look like older judys

old suspension is wank

yeah thats why I'm wondering cos theres a good few on here rocking old sus forks. Sinnett did what you say on his Hot Rodded Alpinestars, my prob would be the 1" headset (and the short leg length), noone seems to do em any more.

If you want to ride it, fit rigid.

If you want to make it look cool/like a well spec'd old Orange, fit RC-35's.

If you want to ride a bike with modern comforts, ride a modern bike.

The Vector idea is pretty exciting actually, are they any good?
I actually made some vector style forks for my final CDT project!

put it this way - they divide opinion. Personally I like them :D

I'll see if I can find a pic of an Orange with them on.

Back