F.U.B.A.R or rideable ?

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Picked this GT Arrowhead frame advertised with a "dink" in the downtube... Should be more wiser now but anyway you win some you lose some hey :roll:

I know the pics are pretty pants so will get the 35mm on it but really would like some views on the dent? Its quite deep but compared to the size of the tubing will it be rideable? :?

DSC05683.jpg

DSC05685.jpg

DSC05686.jpg

DSC05687.jpg

Probably okay for a commuter/light use bike but I personally wouldn't be trusting it for full on off road stuff

Could ride it and keep a very close eye on it!

Probably okay for a commuter/light use bike but I personally wouldn't be trusting it for full on off road stuff

Sounds like my riding skills !! :LOL: :LOL:

If it's just a dent and those lines aren't cracks, I would guess it is reasonably rideable, depending on what kind of riding you have in mind.

I believe an Arrowhead is made of plain-gauge aluminium, so the mid part of the tube is actually stronger than the ends (through not having been weakened by welding) and the alloy could easily be 2mm thick there. If it was a high-end butted frame, it could be 1mm or less, and then a dent of that kind could be terminal.

those lines aren't cracks

I had a good as inspection as I can without rubbing it down, And I am pretty certain that the cracks are paint cracks :?

I have ridden many dented bmx's (just comes with the territory) and mountain bikes, you should be fine.

The key is to keep an eye on it and check it regularly as the dent can become a stress riser and crack.

However that is quite a small dent so I wouldn't worry unduly. The dent on the bike below is huge and took a month or so of hard riding to fully crack. Sorry for the bad pics.

Frameside.jpg

Crackeddowntube.jpg

Don't worry about it. Or you can buy the Jimmy Saville mountain bike in my for sale thread for £30. ;)
But honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. If the worst happens, use the bits for something else.

I've ridden a frame offroad with a dent far bigger than that and it was an aluminium frame. It was fine until I wrapped it around a tree! :LOL: :LOL:

Latest posts

Back