Pace Build advice (not your usual Pace)

JeRkY

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
OK, so I finished my Roberts Project, now comes the turn of the Pace RC500DH.

So far I have:
Frame- RC500DH F1 (NOS)
Fork- RC150 Monster (NOS) (need the disc tab- disc adaptor -ideally ISO...nudge nudge Tim)
Rear Hub- Hope Bulb(NOS) (need the spider if any one has one)
Front hub- Hope Bulb
Stem- Pace DH (NOS)
Bars- Xlite risers (red)
Cranks- Race face Turbines
Pedals Shimano M647 SPD/flats
Brakes- Hope mono mini trials (I have them laying around)

So I am thinking:
Headset- FSA Orbit
Rims- Mavic 517D (going 26" on the front & rear)
Shifter- M952
RD- M952

No idea yet about:
Saddle
tyres
BB
Chain

Any one offer any advice, any one suggest alternatives/changes to the bits I already have?

I want this ready for MM & The big yorkshire weekender, but am not sure I have the time/ money to do the period NOS build that the NOS frame deserves at the moment.

Are you sure the Mono Mini Trials will be ok? Obviously they're designed for slow speed, instant stopping stuff and I wonder whether they will over heat with anything but this. It uses two big opposed pistons, bigger than the standard Mono Mini and the opposite of everything designed for high speed work - not that you'll necessarily be using it for anything but posing and why not :D

I have the old C2 single piston brakes on my F8 and while they are much older technology and not directly comparable they cook up just looking down even the mildest hill.

The Bear":3uy4klvr said:
Are you sure the Mono Mini Trials will be ok? Obviously they're designed for slow speed, instant stopping stuff and I wonder whether they will over heat with anything but this. It uses two big opposed pistons, bigger than the standard Mono Mini and the opposite of everything designed for high speed work - not that you'll necessarily be using it for anything but posing and why not :D

I have the old C2 single piston brakes on my F8 and while they are much older technology and not directly comparable they cook up just looking down even the mildest hill.

Hehe, yup after my recent experience of DH biking (broken collar bone and reasonable amount of internal bleeding from a bruised organ or two) means it will be strictly show not go.

Point taken about the brakes though, makes perfect sense. Initial build may well use the trials but i'll probably be on the look out for some old DH4's.

The Pace Team ran the HED DH rims, both the carbon deep section and the non-carbon super-wide versions. Plus the D521 Ceramic rims I think, if memory serves me correctly.

definatly go for the Mavic D521 rims as they are completly bombproof never gone out of alignment after 7 years inculding some big downhill

paul

Yeah sadly I cant find any Heds, and even if I could it would be very unlikely I could afford to buy them. So I am forced to go the mavic route with either D521's or 321's. Choice will probably be made on cost/availability on this build sadly (at least for the 1st build)

As for piccies, there are a few floating around the forum, I wont put any more up until its finished though :)

Rob

Back