Riveted cable guide removal and attachment?????????????????

Dr.Robotnik

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
So, I am getting a frame powder coated and assume I need to remove the ally cable guides which are riveted on, right?

-If so, how do I remove them without wrecking them?

-How do I keep any swarf out of the frame or remove it later?

-How do I re-attach them later? Links to tools or sites selling the tools would be appreciated.

Of course if you all tell me I don't need to do this that'd be great too.

Thanks a lot for any help.

pics would be great

if they are rivets you use a small drill bit and just drill them out . id use an air line to blow through the tubes after but if you dont have access to a compressor mention it to the powder coaters and ask them to do it

you will need a rivet gun to put more in but they can be had very cheap

in a sleepy haze last night i was thinking about using rivnuts to hold cables and other things to the frame . a rivnut works the same as a rivet but is hollow and has an internal thread

Just drill them out, use a small drill Ø3.5, the drill will self centre to some degree in the head of the rivit. You should be able to get the swarf out of the vent holes in the frame. These are usually used on Ally frames, the holes in the head tubes are usually quite large.

ATB

John

For reattaching them, you can get an inexpensive Rivet gun from most online tool retailers, along with the rivets.

I like the Riv-Nut idea though. If you can get them small enough you could go that route. The ladder on the rear door of my Land Rover is Riv-Nutted in place, my first experience installing Riv-Nuts, and those four little nuts aren't going anywhere. :cool:

I did practice installing the Riv-Nuts on the back of an old tool box first, though.

You should also be darn careful on the Riv-Nut front about the wall thickkness of the frame you put them on. I'd be woried about deforming the tube before deforming the Riv-Nut to set it in place, and that would be bad...Actually, maybe plain rivets are the way to go after all...

utahdog2003":wqcqi9ba said:
I did practice installing the Riv-Nuts on the back of an old tool box first, though.

You should also be darn careful on the Riv-Nut front about the wall thickkness of the frame you put them on. I'd be woried about deforming the tube before deforming the Riv-Nut to set it in place, and that would be bad...Actually, maybe plain rivets are the way to go after all...

I replaced a rivnut (for a bottle cage bolt) on my Litespeed frame a couple of months ago. Practiced a few times first on some scrap steel tube: gives you a feel for the appropriate amount of force and you can see exactly what's happening inside the tube. I also pre-formed the rivnut 'face' to the required curvature by placing it in the hole and tapping the edges with a hammer - again I used some scrap tube for this, not my frame!

I also found after installation the rivnut needed a tap running through to straighten up the threads.

Back to the OP, I'd check with the powdercoaters about whether or not the guides need to be removed.

Back