Serious advice needed about frame choice

KillerTurtle

Devout Dirtbag
I've got a dilemma here....have a nice GT frame. It's very fast and fun to ride, but....my back is hurting like hell after a serious ride (getting old :twisted:).

My first serious mtb was a Koga steel frame 16". Pretty heavy, but very nice to ride and no back problems.

Today, i'm trying to build my GT as fast and light as possible. Hence the dilemma:
Should I go with a
- A steel frame is a lot heavier, but alot more comfort to ride vs
- My GT Alu frame, lighter, faster (I Guess) and back braking :LOL:

Never was a fan of carbon, afraid I'm gonna break it :cool:

Then there is Titanium. Looks good, only burns a hole in my wallet. With a two year old son and second one coming up in september...you do the math.

Some more questions:
- The fork. I've got a Mag21. It works fine. But do I need a suspension fork? I ride mostly sandy, rocky roads, some XC. No serious stuff like downhill or marathons.
- A regular fork is a lot lighter, and climbs better. Will I miss the suspension?

What would you guys do?

Greetings,
Sven

Hi Sven....what is the question :? :LOL:

I don't know about modern alum. frames but the ones I have ridden do feel a bit harsh.
In my humble opinion a bike frame should be made from only two materials....steel or Ti.
I'm fully prepared for the flack :LOL:
Sell everything and get the best steel you can afford would be my advice....Ti is good...very very good...but for the same money you could have an awesome steel frame.
HB
PS I'm assuming we are talking rigid or hardtail here

Harryburgundy":3dje8tg6 said:
Hi Sven....what is the question :? :LOL:

I don't know about modern alum. frames but the ones I have ridden do feel a bit harsh.
In my humble opinion a bike frame should be made from only two materials....steel or Ti.
I'm fully prepared for the flack :LOL:
Sell everything and get the best steel you can afford would be my advice....Ti is good...very very good...but for the same money you could have an awesome steel frame.
HB
PS I'm assuming we are talking rigid or hardtail here

Sorry if I wasn't clear! The question is: what the best material for buidling
a lightweigt frame: steel of Ti?
I ruled out carbon because I'm gonna break it. Alu...hmmm nice but harsch.

Regarding your advice: what steel frame is really good? I'm gonna spend one time only a good deal of money on a frame. This frame had better last me a long time (two kids...) !

Of course advice on ti is ok too.

Am I gonna be able to build a fairly lightweight bike with a steel frame? I like small frames, so that helps a bit. 16" is perfect for me.

Greetings,
Sven

Sven

Ultimately, fit is far more relevant to comfort than the material your frame is made from.
I'd try running the bike you have with higher bars.

chris667":1f738xzm said:
Sven

Ultimately, fit is far more relevant to comfort than the material your frame is made from.
I'd try running the bike you have with higher bars.

Yep, found that out the hard way. I've already lowered the sattle. That helps a lot. Thx for the tip anyway.

As for the physical fitness. I try to sport (running/badminton/biking) at least three to four times a week.

greetings
Sven

Lowering the saddle won't help your fit, it will just make leg extension wrong.
If you want to be more upright you should get a different stem and/or riser bars. It will really make a huge difference in your riding position and back pain.

As for steel vs ti, if you are thinking of getting something made I would say steel for sure. Especially if cost is a concern. You will get a whole bike with really nice spec for what a ti frame alone is likely to cost you.

Very hard to generalise....there is steel and steel...Ti and Ti....different grades, different builders BUT
in my very limited experience steel and Ti can give very similar feel.
If money were no object I would probably have a Ti frame custom made to my requirements...simply because of the longevity of the material over steel.
HB

steel doesn't necessarily mean heavy either. I've seen good quality (and cheap) steel frames that are much lighter than poor or even average quality aluminium :D

orange71":2jtr33vz said:
steel doesn't necessarily mean heavy either. I've seen good quality (and cheap) steel frames that are much lighter than poor or even average quality aluminium :D

That's interesting: names, examples ?!

I assume we are still talking Retro here (we are in the Retro section) so I guess you are talkign buying second hand, very hard to make an old frame now.

At 16" the frame is going to be light as it's small. You should be able to pick up a sub-4lb steel quality frame. 93 to 97ish should be pretty light.

I would forget about the weight, it's not that important over comfort and depending on what you have now (how much does it weigh etc ?) You may even get similar in the end.

I would keep the MAG's as you're complaining about comfort, though tune them to be more responsive to smaller bumps or whatever you need for your area. If you have 1994+ MAGs you're halfway there or try some other type for 'bumpy' terrain.

High end Kona, Orange, Rocky Mountain, Ritchey, enter cool name here, should be available to you and will be light and certainly nothing liek the price of a new high end slightly heavier steel frame or €€€/£££/$$$ Ti frames, nice as they are.

Latest posts

Back