Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Hello, I've a tech Q

on CHAINRINGS !

Plan to use two red chainrings for a build. What I have is a 34t L+M and a 46t L+M. Shifting will go through a mid 90s black LX mech and good old XT thumbies.

I was wondering whether shifting from the 34 to the 46 rings could be done without problems. Won't the chain be grapped by the machined out gaps in the 46 ring? And how does it work the other way, from 46 to 34?

L+M Large and middle ?

Not quite sure what you are asking.

It's quite normal to have a 34 middle and 46 large and everything should work as you expect :?

L+M, as in the lovely British ano chainrings? Will look lovely.
And yes, it'll work with no problems at all.

Yes, I mean a 34 middle and a 46 outer. Ano L + M rings. Sweet rings :cool: Okay, so it sounds like it should shift without any trouble. Great news.

I use 36 / 48

but if where hard BiTD you would really have to have a 52 PACE chainring.

Max capacity of the derailer would be 48 normally (for none compact anyway, don't know about the compact).

IF there are teeth there are pickup teeth there, then all the better. I don't have them on my Middleburn 48 and it's fine.

Never heard (or I don't remember) L+M chainrings :LOL:

I recall having tried a 36t Shimano middle ring with a French, I think Stronglight, 48t outer ringe once. When shifting up, what didn't succeed, the chain pushed to the outer and it flexed. When I pushed harder the outer simply bent. I think it was made of French cheese.

Hope and actually do expect the L + M will be of a more solid construction. I tiny bit feared the severe cut away of material, as you could imagine the chain disappears in that when shifting up.

The current BOTM[that gorgeous black gt],only has two rings and that looks like a bit of a leap between them
34-46 doesnt seem to big a jump

dyna-ti":1qeoob7n said:
34-46 doesnt seem to big a jump

IIrc the max difference between rings should be no more than 14 teeth with no more than a 26 tooth difference between the inner and the outer rings. With only two rings attached there's a lot more scope.

In practice though I think you can actually go more than this.

Back