import duty / VAT

Ransetsu

Retro Guru
Just been informed that my Wicked frame is ready for collection from Parcel Force ..... along with a bill for nearly 60 quid ..... 21 pounds import duty and 30 quid VAT !!!! In total i paid 288 dollars including 65 dollars postage ..... so for a frame that cost 115 quid ad another 60 !! rip-off ... i have written an e-mail to Revenue and Customs but am not expecting much ..... anyone else had to pay so much ?

VAT is 17.5% on the entire cost - frame plus postage plus duty (so $288 / 1.9 x 1.054 x 0.175 = £28 VAT). Duty should be 5.4% on the frame and postage (so $288 / 1.9 x 0.054 = £8.20)

The above assumes the frame was correctly marked to get the applicable duty rate (sounds as though it may have been marked as a complete bicycle hence more like 16% duty), and that it was declared at full value. The thing to do in future is to ask the sender to mark it as a gift, value $100.

Your courier company can charge what they want as a handling fee - they make a lot of money this way.

Seconded - I brought a frame into the country and went through the "Red" channel. The duty rate was less when I convinced them it was bicyle parts rather than a bicycle (fortunately, I was reading the rates book over his shoulder!)

If it's already arrived at the Post Office though, I fear it may be too late

it's never too late, i bring stuff in from the states all the time,part of my job.

get the guy to send an email saying it's a warranty replacement, then it's free.

Hi,same as above.When i`ve bought stuff from the U.S. i`ve asked the sender to mark the package "Warranty Replacement Parts" and never been asked for duty.

Elmo":v6a5djp5 said:
Hi,same as above.When i`ve bought stuff from the U.S. i`ve asked the sender to mark the package "Warranty Replacement Parts" and never been asked for duty.

they're wising up to this as well. If its a warranty replacement they can ask for proof that you sent the original part to the US in the first place.

What a load of crap! Taxes would have been paid in the US when the item was new, now it is 2nd hand. If you have to re pay tax again then surely the US gov't should reimburse the local taxes paid in 199 whatever.

If they will not do this then you don't have to pay tax here! Only applies to duty paid stuff mind.

The seller is a bit naieve (spelt wrong I know) to send it as anything other than a gift though!

If you buy items from the US & import them into the UK regardless if they're new or 2nd hand you'll have to pay duty on them.

Ive had completely mixed expensive/inexpensive/free rates on tax and duty with stuff coming from the states. It really is a mixed bag.

Bit of a random one but either get "gift" or "warranty replacement" put on the parcel and see how you go.

Its rubbish but I thnk you did pretty well getting a Yo frame for that price regardless.

Just think of the future value in years to come ;

Back