Geoff Apps and Highpath

Repack Rider

Senior Retro Guru
The true English mountain bike pioneer was Geoff Apps. Because Geoff came from the "Rough Stuff Fellowship" tradition rather than the California downhill tradtion, and because 26" tyres were not common in England, he approached his design differently.

Something like this:

GeoffApps.jpg

Bob McHardy sent me this photo of a MTB meet with the Highpath crowd, some time in the early '80s:

HighPath3.jpg

HighPath2.jpg

HighPath4.jpg

That design looks really sound! ( though I think it may have been killed off with those " pith helmet " publicity shots )

Great scans.

Have vague memories of seeing these frames in old magazines. Never seen one 'out on the trails' though.

Article on Rough Stuff Fellowship in this month's Singletrack. Some snippets of history too.

Pith helmets - surely the ultimate retro helmet? Day glo zebra striped Etto - new fangled rubish, will never catch on.

Cue host of wtd. ads: Pith helmet

Wasn't there a company called Cleland in the UK as well? I think they called their bikes "Cross Country Bicycles" (before the current XC naming convention obviously) and they were aimed at farmers and hunting/shootng/fishing types.

Terry...

Highpath

There was a really good feature in MBUK once with HighPath engineering , Chris Bell (eggrings also I think) + the usual Brit builder Roberts & Llyod.

May try and dig out said article some time - all I can recall now was that he a strong advocate of drum brakes & hub gears...

It looks like Cleland and Highpath are related. Geoff made bikes that he built himself, called Cleland - but Highpath manufactured his designs later on.

Terry.

Back