Does anyone still use toeclips?

Rabbit171

Dirt Disciple
I realise in this time of super technology, and SPD's etc, but does anyone still use old fashioned cages and strap toe clips :?

I always used them 'back in the day' and I'm still here, but now they appear to be frowned upon as being dangerous and old fashioned :shock:

I tried using power straps but couldn't get on with them, and I don't really want to go to SPD's.

Just interested to know what everyone else is using, I'm used to getting laughed at on the trails, but just want to check there laughing at me not the equipment! :LOL:

They're still here.
I use them for touring. Don't like SPDs, you make stupid clicky noises as you walk around.

yes. but only for a mile a day to the station. and they're awful. bloody dangerous. can utterly see why spd's took off.

I am a big fan of SPD pedals. Having said that, with my little lad learning to ride and having to do a lot of small rides (he has managed 8 miles) and not doing flat pedals, I have dug out my old clips and straps.
I'm fairly sure they are the original Saracen ones and XT pedals! I must say I'm quite impressed! I don't seem to have lost the knack of the Flip-and-Tighten routine. If you like them, hang on to them.

Not a big fan. Prefer SPD's.

Although I did use power straps/grips whatever they were called BITD.
They were a compromise between getting the upstroke and not being binded to the pedal.

Yep, I use them, but have fitted road bike steel clips, they appear smaller, so are less of a hindrance. Think mine are 'Christophe' with 'bluemells' straps in steel, nice and shiny. Got them attached to old VP low profile touring pedals, similar to early 90's XT pedals.

Not hung the things up on anything yet, or broke them for that matter.

The ABS plastic ones of the past, it used to irk me when they got hung up and they got ripped off the mounting screws, plastic in such an area as that is asking for trouble.

I use them on both my KLEIN bikes and my Specialized... can't say I have any problem with them either. For me they work just as good as SPD pedals, although I have to say sometimes SPD's are easier to "get into" as toe-clips. But I use both SPD's and clips and I haven't got any problem with both ;-)

Back