LX Sti query

CAS

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I've put LX STIs on my Orange C16R and I'm having a problem getting the lever to "engage" on changing up to the big ring.

Changing from the granny ring to the middle is no problem but when I need to push the lever again to change to the big ring there's often no resistance - in effect the lever is floppy. (Changing down is no problem at all)

Strangely though it does sometimes engage for the second push and if I apply a slight upward pressure on the lever as well this sometimes seems to help though not invariably.

Any ideas chaps, about how to get the gear change working consistently?

Flush it through with some degreaser and then re-lube it - I had this on the Marin's front shifter and it was just the ratchet mechanism not engaging properly.

gradeAfailure":hrcx14jc said:
Flush it through with some degreaser and then re-lube it - I had this on the Marin's front shifter and it was just the ratchet mechanism not engaging properly.

9 times out of 10 this is the problem. The ratchet spring is so fine that too much dirt and/or corrosion will stop it working. If just spraying it doesn't work you may have to remove the outer casing and move the ratchet back and forth, using a small flat blade screwdriver, while spraying it with lube.

Thats so weird !!! :shock: The right hand shifter on the stumpy does this exact thing ....Something I was going to ask as never come across it before :D

Slack or too slack cable?
Or possible the set screw isnt adjusted to swing upwards enough
Or a mix of both :?
Flushing all the grease out your shifter isnt a good idea :?

Them front mechs can be tricky bu**ers to get right :LOL:

daj":2u1x5mtb said:
Thats so weird !!! :shock: The right hand shifter on the stumpy does this exact thing ....Something I was going to ask as never come across it before :D

Not as common on the right shifter. Usually on the left because it isn't used so much.

hmmm .... its kinda weird feeling like you have to pump it up to catch :? I just put up with it while over there rather than fiddling ... will have a look to see what is going on. Might just be old cables ?

Try working the lever without a cable in it. If it still does the same thing then you can try lubing the shifter.

same thing happens with the left hand shifter on my set of LX sti's, i think the last person to strip and rebuild them crossthreaded the bolt that holds it all together not too mention rounding out the allen bolt. (seriously cross threaded em aswell as i cant get the damn thing to budge no matter what i use to grab the bolt)

only thing i have left to try would be to try and shim it out with some thin plastic.

Back