Worn Cassette Issues

tkboyle

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Need advice on this one as it's starting to do my nut.

Basically the rear wheel has had two cassette's fitted both of them are M737 cassette's. The chain which is newish (100miles) SRAM PC-850 keeps on riding up and over the cassette and slipping.

Still on the same cog is just slipping.

Wondering if there's anything I can do other than keep trying cassettes or is there a chain that is a bit more sympathetic to cassette wear.

The chain is fine on a M900 built hub and cassette it's just my spare wheel-set that is causing the issue.

Just read that a SRAM PC850 chain is 7.1mm wide.

An old Hyperglide chain is 7.4mm.

Do you think this might be the cause? Incompatible chain for the cassette?

Sounds more like wear related incompatibility to me. The sprockets at the back have been ground a tired tooth profile whereas the chain is new and as it was manufactured. The two will not sit happily under pressure I'd imagine. Bite the bullet and but a new cassette would be my advice.

Hopefully it's only a small cog that's troublesome.

If so, you can buy single replacement Shimano cogs from www.roseversand.de

Madison cannot be bothered to import them into the UK.

Roseversand are good e-tailers and well-respected in touring bike circles.

mtbfix":18jxvobf said:
Sounds more like wear related incompatibility to me. The sprockets at the back have been ground a tired tooth profile whereas the chain is new and as it was manufactured. The two will not sit happily under pressure I'd imagine. Bite the bullet and but a new cassette would be my advice.

Agree

Had the same issue on lots of cassettes....always seems to be the bottom 2/3 cogs that go mainly due to being used the most often and having fewer teeth.

Back