10 years away, first ride today

scooby_gav

Dirt Disciple
Well I finished building up a '96 Kona Hahanna today after picking the frame up earlier this week, so after putting on my new gear and setting up the spd's I decided to take it for a little ride.

The last time I rode a bike was 10 years ago when I crashed out of a Gorrick while racing in Experts breaking my collarbone. I haven't done much excercise since, and since turning 30 a few weeks ago realised I needed to do something to get back in shape, but I thought I could at least manage a 30min ride around the lanes... or so I thought. Christ, I don't remember riding a bike being so hard, ended up doing about 45mins but I'm sat at home now absoultely shattered! Oh well, at least Im back on two wheels, how long till I can manage a couple of hours offroad I wonder :?

Don't worry and stick with it Fella.....you should have seen me when I first started riding again :oops:

just do a little more each ride and you'll soon get in the swing of it.

I just turned 31 and can relate as my story is a very similar story to yourself. I started riding like I did when I last was on the bike and ended up faceplanting in to some brambles and Nettles! Very smooth no body witnessed it but I must have looked a proper charlie :LOL:

Yeah I know it too, last XC ride was early nineties, it knackered me getting on the bike again, and my ass thought it was going to come through my gob.

Out with some far fitter mates a few weeks ago I kept being reminded of "muscle memory". Mine must have had Alzheimers at the time because it was a tortuous ride, but a bit of perseverance over a few weeks and you'll notice your fitness improve massively.

If you want some incentive find a local loop you enjoy and time it, then come back and do it every couple of weeks. In 5 weeks I've gone from 1 hr 15 on a local 10 mile loop :oops: and using the granny gear on some nasty climbs to 42 minutes and middle ring :D

I'm now getting to the point where being on the bike is addictive and I NEED to get out on it :shock:

A sports expert I met once. Told me it takes approx 6 weeks for exercise to take affect. So keep at it. Don't over do it. Have at least 1 rest day. In my case 2 days but i'm over 40.

Crell":373a2rx6 said:
I'm now getting to the point where being on the bike is addictive and I NEED to get out on it :shock:

I love it when you get to that stage, Crell. Been a few months since I was there (on the plus side I don't get grumpy if I am unable to get on the bike for more than one day at the moment).

I gotta say I totally relate to how hard it is to get back into things. The best bit though is that you improve fastest at the beginning, so a few weeks perseverence makes a BIG difference.

It's autumn here and not stupid hot anymore. I intend to make a concerted effort to get back to where I was. We shall see...

scooby_gav":2ygmqty9 said:
I haven't done much excercise since, and since turning 30 a few weeks ago realised I needed to do something to get back in shape, but I thought I could at least manage a 30min ride around the lanes... or so I thought. Christ, I don't remember riding a bike being so hard, ended up doing about 45mins but I'm sat at home now absoultely shattered!

Know exactly how you feel - went on my first Retro Bike organised ride at Sherwood Pines yesterday & had to quit after about an hour due to serious lack of fitness & asthma kicking in :cry: Felt really guilty that everyone had to keep waiting for me. :oops:
Going to keep at it though & get my base fitness improved riding the lanes in the evening.

my frst RB ride taught me to quit smoking and start training .

I did not look back . :D

Back