Removing headset cups

garethrl

Senior Retro Guru
I posted earlier in the week looking for advice on how best to insert some King Aheadset cups into a frame. Talk about putting the cart before the horse! I really should have asked how to get them out of the original frame first.

I tried knocking them out using a hardwood dowel and rubber mallet but that just messed up the end of the dowel. The only other thing I have to hand that looks like it would do the job is a flat blade screwdriver, but the blade looks a bit sharp and I don't want to mess up the cups if possible.

So, what do you folks use?

Cheers, Gareth.

I use a 8" length of 22mm copper pipe, soft enough not to scratch the headtube or headset cup but stiff enough to do the job. Just tap it gently to start with working around it like a clockface 12 - 6 - 9 - 3 and so on. Tried the screwdriver approach, results are not pretty.

REKIBorter":2fa1yvh4 said:
I use a 8" length of 22mm copper pipe, soft enough not to scratch the headtube or headset cup but stiff enough to do the job. Just tap it gently to start with working around it like a clockface 12 - 6 - 9 - 3 and so on. Tried the screwdriver approach, results are not pretty.

What he said.... :D

Back