Stripped thread thread, or 'I want to cry now'

wynne

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just disassembled, greased, repainted and rebuilt a pair of 96 Judys. Built them up again last night and with the final turn of the allen key I stipped the thread inside one of the brace boltholes. Is there any way to put the thread back - solder, blu tack or something - or is it basically screwed (or not as the case is)?

Sob

Rich

wynne":3q0dhv6n said:
, blu tack
:shock: :LOL:

you have a few choices,you could drill a larger hole and tap it to the next size bolt or you could have it helcoiled which will repair the thread.i would suggest taking it to a local engineering firm to have this done.

Helicoil is best option,about £10 job from local engineering shop,tbh id get the other one done at the same time,as it will be steel inserts rather than the ally thread you have atm they wont bind either ;)

Rich,

Not to worry, if there is enough remaining material, you need find out exactly what thread it was originally then get yourself a wire thread insert kit. These usually come with a drill, tap and inserts and the tools to fit them.
All you need to do once you have the kit is using the drill bit provided in the kit, drill out the stripped threads. Tap the freshly drilled hole with the tap provided this will create threads in the hole in order to accept the insert. Fit the insert with the tools provided break off the tang and hey presto you should have fully functional threads again.

But like I said this is all good to do as long as you have enough remaining material.

Cheers,

Phil

Gentlemen, you've made a sad man smile again. Thank you.

Any recommendations on decent engineering workshops in S London?

R

just thought id add (having done the same thing on funnily enough
some judys!?) i just got mine helicoiled it cost me £30 and it works fine im happy with it tho
if the forks wernt the exact colour i wanted i would of just bought some
more

Back