It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:16 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Re: Steerer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:03 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Kestonian wrote:
RTSclassic wrote:
Thanks for the heads up andy I am running a set of Pace RC36 forks, any idea on what size extender I would require? I'm not being lazy I'm still on a learning curve when it comes to kit. Also I take on board your comments re: a higher rise stem are there any down sides to going down this route?

Cheers

Mark.

Why not just get a longer steerer tube?

The steerer on Pace forks can be replaced (check the steerer swapsies thread http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43194 , or get in touch with justbackdated on this forum who should be able to help out)

Very good point, should have noticed that!

Post subject: Good Man
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:33 pm 
Geoff Capes

Kestonian your a legend that should solve all my woes. I am a lot like a grass hopper my legs are long but my torso is short so the bike fits fine it just feels like I cannot extend my leg as much as I like without raising the saddle to a point they are above the Handlebars by too much.

Thanks again guys I will keep an eye on the thread then be back to ask advice on swapping the steerer out Wink

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:00 pm 
Sabrina the Teenage Witch

Location: Mammoths deserve to be cloned. From what I've seen in 'Ice Age' they are jolly good sports.
Oddly, I fitted a steerer extender today. It's a Satori Heads Up 4. Clamps onto the steerer tube, then you put your stem onto this. Comes with spacers and an extra long top-cap screw. Looks Ok to me and feels plenty tight; I've just tw@tted it around the carpark doing endo spins to make sure it's solid.

Satori also do one called an Easy-Up which, from some real-world reviews on the interweb, creaked and didn't inspire confidence. But the Heads Up 4 seems to have been well-received. I'll let you know how I get on.

Pics in a minute, when I nip out with my phone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:12 pm 

Location: Mammoths deserve to be cloned. From what I've seen in 'Ice Age' they are jolly good sports.

It looks higher in the pictures than it does in the flesh, but I didn't want a hump on top of the stem so used all the spacers. And as it's a commuter, comfort wins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:53 pm 
Retro Guru

Personally I recon a high rise stem helped by a riser bar is a much more elegant solution. A 15 degree stem and bars will get some decent height whilst looking [and functioning?] better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:45 pm 
Geoff Capes

Thanks for your thoughts guys, Jimster keep me posted fingers crossed your next update won't involve a faceplant! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:18 pm 
Retro Guru

J i m s t e r wrote:

It looks higher in the pictures than it does in the flesh, but I didn't want a hump on top of the stem so used all the spacers. And as it's a commuter, comfort wins.

I was wondering if once a height had been found that you feel most comfortable, you could cut the remainder of projecting tube off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:09 pm 
Geoff Capes

Good point, I would have thought the lower the extender the less leverage it has on the clamp which holds it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:14 pm 
East Midlands AEC
East Midlands AEC

Quote:
I am a lot like a grass hopper my legs are long but my torso is short so the bike fits fine it just feels like I cannot extend my leg as much as I like without raising the saddle to a point they are above the Handlebars by too much

ah - so I'm not the only one - hurray :D

It's a bloody nightmare isn't it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:20 pm 

orange71 wrote:
Quote:
I am a lot like a grass hopper my legs are long but my torso is short so the bike fits fine it just feels like I cannot extend my leg as much as I like without raising the saddle to a point they are above the Handlebars by too much

ah - so I'm not the only one - hurray :D

It's a bloody nightmare isn't it...

+1

Road bars are really uncomfortable for me - they and their hooded brakes best suited to those jokeyesque continental types with short legs and long arms. Y'know, like the kind of bloke Alfa Romeo used to design cars for.