Extend steerer tube - help/advice please!

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have a set of ahead rigid forks that are just too short (by 20mm). I was going to fit a steerer tube extender (one of those BBB ones) however they only work where the steerer is of a certain internal diameter (i.e. a steel thin walled steerer) - however these forks have rather a thicker wall so it won't fit.

I've also seen this but I only have about 15mm exposed steerer: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heads-Up-8-Ahea ... B001RTVU8Y

Is there such a thing as a 1" extender like the BBB one that might fit inside the thick-walled 1 1/8 steerer for example?

So what other ideas can we pursue? :?

if you know a confident welder you could have the extra welded on

im going to end up doing this as i have a set of z1 bombers with a 150mm steerer , who has a headtube that short :roll:

or you could look for a lower stem and headset

That is one of my reasons for the desire to go back to threaded steerer, the versatility in adjusting handlebar height, I can chop and change it at will. Aheadset for me sucks, no adjustment available.

I also have pondered how to extend the steering tube, and there is the Satori stem riser thing, which is still being considered, but seemingly nothing else aside from welding a sleeve and tube to the fork steerer.

For those with a threaded steerer, there is a device to convert the stem to take aheadset, but nothing to convert aheadset to quill. The problem I think being the aheadset is the steerer clamp. Unless a clamp can be fashioned to hold the steerer tube in place, changing anything leaves one kind of stuffed.

I have considered making a low clamp for this purpose, but without something to 'bite' onto like threads, I am dubious as to whether the clamp will stay in place. I suppose what steerer projects could be threaded just for the purpose of bite, but it is a lot of messing around and with me, why not just change the forks and headset back to threaded, stock items that are known to work and in all reality, is the old way of doing things that much heavier than aheadset, I can't see much in it.

Back