Hairline crack - opinions please!

gradeAfailure

Senior Retro Guru
Whilst examining my as-yet-unfitted Control Tech post last night, I discovered a tiny hairline crack in the main post where the clamp insert is bonded in. I still really want to be able to use the post as it matches the stem/bar-ends i have, and it's silver, elegant, and 29.4mm to boot...

So, was thinking I could maybe drill a tiny (0.5mm dia) hole at the end of the crack to prevent any further propagation? Or is that just going to act as a further stress point and cause even more problems?

Anyone have any other ideas?

Attachments

• control_post (Large).jpg
    control_post (Large).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 3,118
bin it, Could be a nasty nads accident waiting to happen

:) - :eek: - :shock: - :cry:

you get the picture

Second that, the load placed on the pin to cause that has already over stressed the component. It has manifested itself in the crack. If you (quite correctly) drill the end of the crack you don't know where else it is less visibly damaged. Sorry dude, it's junk.

On the bright side you now have a fun project working outwhat to do with it! Candle stick would be cool.

Just an idea so feel free to shoot me down in flames. Cut the post below the crack and remove the head from the post then clean all the bonding and bond the two back together using some industrial strength araldite.

Might Work :?

Geoff.

Geoff is onto something there. I have a Bontrager Carbon post that I have had to araldite after it begun to turn.

The carbon post has an aluminium reinforcing ring that sits round the top of the carbon where the aluminium clamp is inserted. A rubbishy looking option would be a jubilee clip - or get something machined up.

Cheers for the advice guys - guess it's not what I wanted to hear, but I knew it would be a baaaad idea to ride it really... :(

younggeoff - had thought of that, but unfortunately the section that has the head bonded in is tapered down from the 29.4mm diameter main section, and there wouldn't be enough length to be able to do what you suggest...

<sigh>

Ah well, the search for a post continues!

Oh, and the seller is a true gent and has offered a full refund, so no harm, no foul... :)

I've got a raceface XY clamp bonded into a syncros ti shaft. so it would be possible, but a lot of work. mine had a brass shim machined to fit. aerospace glue (GE airlines engineer mate), cured in an oven.

honestly? I'd look for a 27.2mm post (much easier to find!) & shim it.

Latest posts

Back