Suspension forks newbie question

silverclaws

Senior Retro Guru
Hi, I have never ventured into suspension forks on an MTB, not because I disliked them, I just never could afford them due to the high cost at the time, '92 through to '95. I could'nt even afford the Girvin flex stem, but now forks have come down in price a hell of a lot. So seeing as I dislike my forks/ aheadset assembly I am thinking to go back to quill stem and threaded steerer, well not thinking, but am going to do it, I liked the versatility of the old system. So the recent thought has been, why don't I kill to birds with one half knacker and try suspension, that way I can sate my curiousity about front suspension and get my preffered steering system back. But, I know zilch about suspension forks and am so wondering if here I can get an answer to help me decide.

Ok, style of riding, that would be cross country, moorland tracks and road also hills, but I tend to go down hills slow and controlled. This is due to me getting knocked out on my first ever MTB ride, I bombed down a hill, tried to slow, and ended up hitting a dry stone wall, smashing my new helmet, so hills and me, I treat them with respect.

So I am thinking seeing as I am not into jumping and levelling out pot holes whilst going fast down hill, I don't need hefty for the purpose forks, just something for general purpose XC riding, and there thought the elastomer suspension might be a good bet. But, I have a retro bike and so I guess my options are limited if I wanted to keep in period, which is no problem, I am cool with that, but what should I be looking for that would fit a '92 to say '97 time period ?

All I know, is I need simplicity, ease of maintenance and light weight, what was out there, what might still be out there ?

What would you recommend ?

manitous are a nice fork too but watch for dodgy elastomers.

check the for sale section too. i think dr.s is selling a set of tange shock blaand 1" threaded. cheap too

Having never been tempted much by suzzies before, the price you can get old Pace RS 35's for does make them very tempting, they seem a really classy product all round. Can you still get spares/upgrades from Pace for old models?

ferrus":248wxmqi said:
Having never been tempted much by suzzies before, the price you can get old Pace RS 35's for does make them very tempting, they seem a really classy product all round. Can you still get spares/upgrades from Pace for old models?

Forum member Justbackdated (aka Tim) is an excellent resource for retro pace fork parts & servicing. Indeed he used to work for pace and now has a company (fork english) which specifically looks after retro pace forks. He is able to supply most parts and his servicing is 2nd to none.

That said with RC35's are nice and easy to strip and look after, but a decent full service once in a while will always be a benefit.

FluffyChicken":xdxtjsj2 said:
RockShox Mag 21's, Possibly Judy 1995 XC.

But errr what bike are they going on :roll:

Saracen Tufftrax elite '93 model, ( The one MTBR magazine reported to have nasty tin foil stickers, I agree, but they are largely intact after 16 yrs)). Original livery as is now, metallic black powdercoat with silver and dark red/ purple detailing.

In fact ;

main.php

As it was when I aquired it, quite a bit different now, a mixture of '90s XT, USE and Suntour, replacing the Altus c91 and other steel bits.

It has been re-forked at some point, as the forks are Muddy Fox. I have seen these cycles at various points with purple coloured suspension forks.

My colour scheme is black, silver and red anodised, the purple just had to go.

The front tyre, originally the back tyre before I got at it was the original Z-Max.

Purple boingy forks, would probably be the Marzocchi ?

PACE are black and silver so would go.

Rockshox will tend to be a golden colour (MAG and Judy XC) you could always respray them or see if you can pick up another colour.

Manitou might work, but I don't remeber much about them apart from I thought they where one of the best looking forks.

1994 edition forks reviewed here
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... temId=7527
to get an idea of what you rememeber.

Back