Mag 21 vs Judy XC

fred1

Devout Dirtbag
Quick, although may turn out to be more complicated, question!!!

I am in two minds what to put on my '92 GT Bravado. I know mag 21's are period correct, but which are the better forks?

Bear in mind i want ease of use / servicing.

All your thoughts / knowledge will be most welcome! :D

cheers

fred :D

If they both work they'll both be fine.

JUDY will be a longer fork, depending on year and model or upgrades etc.
MAG are more flexible forks (as in stiffness).

Ride characteristics, well MAGs are mush easier to tune to how you like, but they require air and so you need a pump and seals that will hold the air in. there are far more bits inside it as well, but then if you use boots they need little serviceing if working well.

Judy probably the same sort of little serviceing other than pull them apart and grease them

Swings and roundabouts here really...

If you can find a set of Judy's that still have dampers that work then you can ditch the inevitably ruined elastomers, fit some springs and have a reasonably useful pair of forks.

Mag's are more fiddly being air/oil, but i've come across a couple of sets in good condition still with oil in and everything.

As for stiffness, I thought they were both awful TBH.

Of the two options I'd fit the Mag's just to be period correct. If I was actually going to ride it i'd go with some decent rigid steel forks.

Quadra21's are a much underated fork and overshadowed by the MAG's. You can have period correct forks with the simplicty of elastomers.

Easy_Rider":v8j1upxq said:
Quadra21's are a much underated fork and overshadowed by the MAG's. You can have period correct forks with the simplicty of elastomers.

I happen to agree here.......but I love the look of Mag 21's hence both GT's having them.

Early 90's hardtail GT......Mag 21's all the way :cool:

Actually to be period correct you would want MAG20's (or MAG30/MAG10 I always forget which way around this) Service manuals in the archive will tell you or the mombat website will also tell you in it rockshox history part.

MAG21's where not until 1993.

Cheers folks,

Never considered quadras, how much can they be adjusted? Also, are they similar to the newer Indy's. Do they have seals under the boots or are they needed to keep the muck out?
Lastly, are they going to be cheaper?

Cheers

Fred

fred1":2i0uyddw said:
Cheers folks,

Never considered quadras, how much can they be adjusted? Also, are they similar to the newer Indy's. Do they have seals under the boots or are they needed to keep the muck out?
Lastly, are they going to be cheaper?

Cheers

Fred

Quadras tend to be cheaper than MAG's
Quadra 21R also worth a look.

I'll wait for the guru to give you more info on adjustabilitty ;)

Back