Claude B Kylami : I Solicit Your Opinions On What to Do Next

J i m s t e r

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Someone at work has a complete bike as part of a garage clearout. He sent me a pic on the phone, it doesn't look terminal:

b6e15df8800aec725a3982c612ffc19d_8cb.jpg

Only reference I've found on here is ToadOfToadHall's singlespeed one. Is it any good? Steel or ally? Looks like a 1" quill and Yeti grips, and he has the other wheel too.

BTW not asking What It's Worth - if I have it, I'll mek it singlespeed, rather than dick about fixing the doubtless neglected drivetrain.

Gotta be worth it for the purple ano alone? :LOL:

I could see the Reynolds sticker but I am unfamiliar with the tube range - is 500 good or bad?

I thought 501 was the lowest in the Reynolds range so I guess this might even be lower? So better than hi-tensile steel, but that's about it... not great unfortunately.

Its a lugged Cro-mo Reynolds frame that would be perfect to make as a tourer or heavy duty commuter.

Nothing exciting but depends on what you want to do with it with regard to spendy spendy

IIrc the CB Kylami was Reynolds 500 main tubes and high tensile rear end. It retailed for around £250 bitd, so it's just one of their lower end bikes.

Reynolds 500 is just standard chromoly and it isn't heat treated or butted. 501 is similar in that it's not butted or heat treated but it has more manganese in it for a bit of extra strength (hence the '1' on the end).

Have a look at this: http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/reynolds/reynolds.htm

It's a bit early for 500 but it shows the rest of the tubesets (I didn't even realise that they'd made a BMX specific tubeset).

I reckon early to mid 90's about £280ish. The forks, brakes and shifters (poss xt?) have been added later. The original spec is given away by the chainstay sticker Acera X ;)

I've just picked it up. He gave the bike to me for the cost of his omlette at lunch. What a thoroughly decent chap. I shall post pics in a bit. It does indeed have XT thumbies.

Latest posts

Back