What type of bike builder are you ?

silverclaws

Senior Retro Guru
Me, I started with a complete but battered '93 Saracen Tufftrax Elite, then went in search of desirable parts, second hand parts if possible to fit with my ethics. As I found the parts, I built the cycle bit by bit, so if a chain ring came one day, that ring would be rennovated and fitted, the steel original chucked in a box for cleaning and repainting with a view to selling it on. So, for the past six weeks the bike has been getting nearer and nearer to completion, the point on which I have decided I will be satisfied.

So, I suppose retro bike builders could be classified into groups, to include the.... junk hunter , ( skips, s/h emporiums etc),.... the NOS man,.... the old parts bin man,.... the lucky complete bike find man, and the ....wheel out of the parent's shed and dust off man and many others, go on what type are you ?

(apologies to any ladies present for the use of man, but you know what I mean)

I am everything - I am nothing

I find near NOS at the tip, car boots or S/H shops

I find utter utter junk at the tip, car boots or S/H shops

I am a 'what ever takes my fancy man' mix 'n' match type of thing.

As long as it's not Shimano and looks good i'm there!

Al. :D

I need value. My bike obsession can't be at the expense of the mortgage or my family - so I'm prepared to wait until I find what I want at the price I want to pay for it.

That meant my M-Trax took 8 months to build - triggered by getting a NOS titanium frame for £30 from a Raleigh dealer closing down. I built a bike with new parts from top to bottom - full XT, handbuilt wheels, SID forks, FSA finishing kit, carbon seatpost and bar ends - for quite a bit less than £800.

I'm a

Start with a component
Plan a dream
See what I can afford
Sell parts and bikes to fund the build
Build a reality
Ride it a couple of times
Find a left over component
and then the process starts again

Think i will give Terry my money,looks like he's got it sussed!!Eight month build, i get bored waiting for my cuppa to bru! I blame todays society and the Government!!

Al. :D going on one, again.

al":33hfvpdg said:
Think i will give Terry my money,looks like he's got it sussed!!Eight month build, i get bored waiting for my cuppa to bru! I blame todays society and the Government!!

Al. :D going on one, again.

Thatcher's britain

Attachments

• maxandpaddy8uj.png
    maxandpaddy8uj.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,245
1. I'm......probably the slowest builder on here :oops:
2. I buy all the bits before I start fitting them :?
3. I gun down NOS stuff on eBay at Stupid O'Clock :twisted:
4. I get bored easily :roll:
5. Goto step 1 :LOL: :LOL:

Neill

I'm with Neill - all my bikes are built in my head and the parts are all collected and then end up sitting in boxes waiting to be build up.

Currently have the San An, the STS, new new white RC100 and two Specialized waiting for a build.

And the Moho which would really like some gear and brake cables!!!!

Blame the fact that my flat is currently a building site though and the bikes are all carefully packed out of the way!

Back