Tyre Widths

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
In the 80's was it common to have tyres narrower than 1.95" as some of my older bikes seem happier with 1.8's or narrower as regards clearance.

Also what were the best narrower tyres at the time ?

Cheers

The best narrow tyre for me then and now is the Conti X country 1.5. I find best on the front. But have used on the back

I used Specialized Crossroads on my bikes BITD which were a 1.5 I think. They were great in summer but pants in winter- I'd switch to Farmer Johns around November.

Si

Dr S":2i3lvq53 said:
I used Specialized Crossroads on my bikes BITD which were a 1.5 I think. They were great in summer but pants in winter- I'd switch to Farmer Johns around November.

:D Specialized Crossroads :D 1.5" were great low rolling resistance hard wearing tyres in the late 1980s.

When the first mountain bikes were imported in 1983 (British made from 84) their tyres were either 1.75" or 2.125". The US designed bikes did not have much in the way of frame clearences and were often not suitable for British mud.

The rims themselves were 1.75" wide, and narrower tyres would easily pinch puncture. The torque of the lower gears would stress damage and eventually tear the over thin skin walls.

By 85 a wide range of sizes became availaible. (ie. sizes 2.1",1.5",1.9" were listed in the 1985 Freewheel catalogue)

Ritchey Z Max 1.7 are fantastic.

Still great tyres today... I have a pair that were NOS.

Weigh less than 400g and grip really well too.

Watch out for the pinch flats though!

Chaser

It's certainly a problem of choice in the thinner sizes. The Panaracer Fire XC 1.8 works well for me.
I cannot even fit a 2.1 on the back of my Dawes tandem.

Got 1.8 Fires on my RC300 and seem like the perfect tyre for it - pumped up pretty hard most of the time - really seems to suit the rigid rear end

Back