Hope BB help please

JeRkY

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi, picked up a hope ti BB off of this very fine forum, one question how does one fit it.

it has 2 lock rings, but I would have expected one of the threaded "cups" to come off ala shimano cartridge BB's so you screw one cup in from each side. However this doesnt appear to be the case.

Also does any one have a fitting tool for said BB that I could buy/borrow?

The lockring/cup tool is standard Campagnolo size from 1990's backwards.

The BB is made up of :
-an axle with a central ridge to prevent bearings moving.
-2 lockrings if above 118mm. None if smaller.
-a shaft of Aluminium tube that fits between the bearings and prevents over tightening.
-2 bearings
-2Aluminium cups

The tolerances are quite tight and the bearings push onto either end of the axle with the shaft in between them, the I usually press one bearing into its cup. Then, thread that cup into the BB shell, with the rest of the axle etc. The remaining cup can now be inserted. Adjust the cups either side to desired tension and position, and then clamp in place with lockrings. If you're not using lockrings, then you can just apply some threadlok before inserting the cups, as they are rare stories of loosening.

Let me know if you need further help.

JeRkY":2m1jp8es said:
Hi, picked up a hope ti BB off of this very fine forum, one question how does one fit it.

The lefthand cup should pull off. It's a tight fit but it does come off. Then it just fits in like a Shimano cart BB. When you fit your cranks you can then check the chainline and adjust as necessary.

I found that if you screw the righthand lockring so it's level with the end of the cup, that's about the right chainline for an XT M730 chainset (that's if it's the one you got from me anyway ;) ).

Cheers Xesh it is indeed the one I got from you :)
I figured one end must come off but didnt want to force anything, mainly due to not wanting to over pressure my bust collar bone rather than worrying about the BB.

I'll possibly get my house mate on it later.

Back