Worn rim - rebuild or not ?

NakedGav

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I took a wheel into the LBS to have the hub swapped from blue to red and I've just spoken to them and the builder says he wouldn't recommend it as the siedwalls are quite worn. I don't know how worn is 'quite worn' as I'm still waiting for the builder to call me back.
I will ride the bike the wheels are on but I've got another 2 bikes to build so the riding will be shared about amongst them.
The thing is that I really like the rims (FIR Polar deep section) but I can't find any new ones anywhere to replace my existing ones.
The question is do I get it built up anyway and ride it until some Polars come up or do I just retire the wheel and sit and wait ?
:?

hard to tell without looking at them , but if they were braking fine before you took them to lbs , just build them up .

say thanks for the experienced opinion and have them done regardless . its more the guy covering his own back from " ere you built me these wheels a week ago and the rims have split , im going to slag you off to everyone i know and everyone i meet for the rest of my life " :LOL:

avoid putting crazy pressures in the tyres and keep an eye on them , you will see a hairline crack when it starts to split unless you pile them into rocks and it gives out suddenly

be gentle and keep in mind they are a tad iffy

i have a mavic d521 thats been worn for years and is relegated to disc only . i polished the braking surface so any problem will be noticeable

It has to depend upon the level of wear on the rim. Rims failing is never pretty but I suppose that if you want to take on the risk and build yourself then you can make the judgement.

Some folks have reservations about rebuilding used rims. Its your wheel though, if you are OK with it, and he can't point to a very specific reason why the rim shouldn't be used, then use it! :cool:

Well I went in at lunchtime but the builder wasn't there but I told them to just crack on with it.
Still on the lookout for another pair of Polar's though :LOL:

rebuild before the side goes,wrecking the innertube and possibly the tyre too,causing you to fall into the path of the bus behind you :shock:

Would I ride my motorbike with a suspected dodgy wheel or braking surface? - errr, no :shock:

Had a mate whose wheel (bicycle) collapsed and he nearly ended up under the No66 George Square to Clarkston double decker :shock:

Get a second opinion and be very sure, or retire it.

NakedGav":1gtl0ggl said:
I took a wheel into the LBS to have the hub swapped from blue to red and I've just spoken to them and the builder says he wouldn't recommend it as the siedwalls are quite worn. I don't know how worn is 'quite worn' as I'm still waiting for the builder to call me back.

The Polars are one of these rims where some people think are worn when they're not. They are supposed to have concave brake surfaces which were intended to stop the brake blocks from going under the edge of the rim when they wore down. Campag had a similar thing on some of their rims. One of them even had a lip on the bottom of the brake track iIrc.

I know my ones are fine but, compared to modern rims, they look worn.

Latest posts

Back