Help with Judy XC's

FST4RD

Senior Retro Guru
I have a set of the old school Judy XC's the Champagne coloured ones. Real good nick apart from they are to soft...
I know they have springs in them, but do they have an air cartridge in them? Or do I have to get new springs?
I know they had different colours dependant on how stiff they were... can any one tell me which colours which and whether springs from the later models fit?

Thanks!
Robin

They came with elastomer by default, 3rd part upgrades where springs/air carts.

They do have an oil damper in them.
Service manual is in the Archive & Gallery.

Other than that, no idea ;)

They should have elastomers in there.
maybe springs if they have been upgraded.

You can get replacements for them

Thanks guys! Didn't realise the manuals are there, going to be handy...
Might pop them open this weekend!

You could try a thicker oil, it will stiffen them up and slow the action of the fork down, not as much bounce.

I had early Judy DHs with elastomers - I had a Speed spring in one leg and elastomers in the other. This helped with damping and stuff. They're still in use exactly as I left them.

They would originally have had medium elastomers in there unless they've been changed.

RS themselves did spring upgrade kits for them later on.

The type 2 internals had half spring and half elastomer each side. The type 3 internals had 2 springs each side. After market kits included Speedsprings and Englund air cartridges, which were favourites with the weight weenies (and still are if you can find them). ;)

Back