British Brands

Ziggy

Senior Retro Guru
Realised I've got a few British bits on my Orange, & was wondering what options I had for building it up in full Brit stylee... so what manufacturers are there? Anyone got a list?! :)

Hmmm......for boingy forks you have....

Shocktech
Pace
Quasar
Pro Circuit
USE

For spangly bits you have....

Middleburn
Zero
X-Lite
Hope
Venhill
Lynx Racing Components
Xero
X-Terra

I'm sure there are heaps more I've forgotten :D

Stu

Tried it with my Pace. You get into a few problems. If you put your historical glasses on then most of the world can loosely be called 'British'. This includes France - Mavic; the US so all manner of things become available. Sadly Italy was never part of the Empire so Flite saddles ca't be included. Neither was Japan or Hungary so that means no Shimano.

Here's my list frame, forks, stem - Pace
Headset, hubs - Hope
seatpost, bars & bar ends - USE
cranks, chainrings - Middleburn

(saddles can be done - USE, XLite or Brooks(?))

Loads of British brands are actually imports e.g.on-one, the more recent Orange hardtails etc... if its a British brand, but made abroad is that British? Are Marins British or US?

Ruminate fiercely

How is mavic british ????

it is actually owned by a company from Finland at the moment .

Mavic is sort of French, huge tracts of France used to be British until Henry 8 messed up at the Field of The Cloth of Gold thing.

Inferred it was a really tenuous argument :LOL:

Mavic comes from St Etienne i think , and Henry owned more on the west side . :LOL:

At least we could make a whole french bike , including transmission . ;)

Sweeping generalisations are usually best at this time of night.
Completely European (continent) bike is easy - XTR is made in Hungary!

France bike - tyres Hutchinson - oui?

Actually you could make a wholly British bike - but it wouldn't work, and would look plug ugly

or Michelin Tyres .

What transmission would you use on a british bike ?

I actually think a british bike would be quite nice , pace frame and forks is a good start .

Back