Mystery Saracen frame ! Could you identify it ?

benoit

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
I have bought a frame from this forum, and have been told that it was a Saracen CroMo frame.

I would like to know which Saracen model it is, and possibly when it was made. Well actually I would love to see real pics of this model, not just the frame.

Do you have any idea ? I searched this forum for all the Saracen posts, but could not really find something similar ! Maybe a Saracen kili ?

Any help much appreciated - Thanks

You can click the pictures for high def.

Hmm - Definitely very similar to this one... !
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40984&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=210

drystonepaul":2734fwuh said:
I've finally got round to building up one of my two Bankrupt eBay Saracen frames and took it out for a test ride today.
This one has been built up using parts from my Zaskar which is going to be renovated over the summer.
Built up as my touring bike, hence the XT/Deore hybrid thumbshifters, Brooks saddle, and comfortably high front end.
Overall I am really impressed with the way it rides, with a slightly slack front end and a nice lightweight responsive feel. I'll be loading up the panniers and bar-bag for some extended testing soon, and then I reckon it'll off to the powder-coaters for something slightly less black...

Saracen-Tourer%20-%20First-Ride%20(1).jpg

Saracen-Tourer%20-%20First-Ride%20(2).jpg

Saracen-Tourer%20-%20First-Ride%20(3).jpg

Saracen-Tourer%20-%20First-Ride%20(4).jpg

Saracen-Tourer%20-%20First-Ride%20(5).jpg

Saracen-Tourer%20-%20First-Ride%20(6).jpg

Saracen-Tourer%20-%20First-Ride%20(7).jpg

Hi Benoit

There are a few similarities to the one I've got: ie the curved chainstays and the reinforcing rings on the head tube.
However, the dropouts are slightly different, and the cable guides are a different design. Granted there are two guides on the right of the top tube and one on the left as opposed to all three on the right as on some earlier models. They are also kind of 'tear-drop' shaped like this:

Saracen%20Tourer%20001.jpg

Saracen%20Tourer%20003.jpg

All these Saracens seem notoriously difficult to properly identify and hardly anyone seems to have any catalogues or further information.
I still don't know what my two are. Perhaps everyone destroyed all their old Saracen information out of shame when all the bikes turned to crap at the end of the nineties.

Sorry I can't help out but I'm sure there must be someone out there with a secret Saracen stash.
Here's hoping...

Hi,
This is what I have done with my "mystery" saracen frame. However I still have to get a decent fork, and a decent rear rack (Tubus?Thorn?) that allow more heel clearance.

Back