what frame is this?

Defiant

Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
i was asked if i recognize this frame
it is not that special i guess,..but does somebody on here know?
i was guessing in the direction of American Eagle or similar

22-22-078.jpg

22-22-076.jpg

nieuwebanden.jpg

I would be inclined to think it is a British frame, due to the split in the top of the seat tube, on British Bikes they tend to face forwards, because we have mud to contend with and mud flung needn't go in the seat tube.

Am even thinking Raleigh here, due to those rack mount lugs, they look Raleighish from what I remember.

silverclaws":1qkvf7ch said:
Am even thinking Raleigh here, due to those rack mount lugs, they look Raleighish from what I remember.

Same with the dropouts, but I don't think that Raleigh used a re-enforcement technique like that on the seattube. I might be mistaken though.

silverclaws":2m6wa5of said:
I would be inclined to think it is a British frame, due to the split in the top of the seat tube, on British Bikes they tend to face forwards, because we have mud to contend with and mud flung needn't go in the seat tube.

Canadians do this and have been doing this for a long time also, not unique to the British isles.

Is the seat tube ovalized where it meets the bottom bracket ? - hard to tell from the pic. The rear triangle and lug at the top of the seat tube look very Saracen or Muddy-Fox circa 89/90. However think Saracen did not have cable routing like that until later and they also did not have the slot at the front for seat tube clamp. I would think its either an early 90s saracen or more likely a muddy fox.

I've got the same canti bosses and threaded hole in the chainstay bridge on a Saracen.

There are elements that are very Saracen, but I'm not 100% convinced it is one.

One thing is for certain though, it builds up into a very good looking bike. :cool:

Back