91 team marin brake cable? confusion.......

teammarin91

Retro Newbie
hello,

Im trying to source some brake cables for my 91 team marin, as standard xt groupset with shimanao slr plus brake levers as fitted from new.......

i went to my local bike shop for a set of cables, but they didnt have the correct cables.....also tried on ebay got brand new shiny set, but also wrong type.....

my bike has a smaller diameter but slightly wider barrel nipple on the cable end, that a small plastic semi barrel clip goes onto then the thing fits into the lever ok, all the new ones i have seen have bought have a smaller barrel / nipple.

i have been told that early mtb's and my marin used an oversie cable bigger than the standard 1.6mm that modern bikes have......

does this make sense and does anyone know where i can get a cable set please? pref shimano stainless set than a cheapo crap set.......

many thanks guys

karl

teammarin91":1pkioj30 said:
hello,

Im trying to source some brake cables for my 91 team marin, as standard xt groupset with shimanao slr plus brake levers as fitted from new.......

i went to my local bike shop for a set of cables, but they didnt have the correct cables.....also tried on ebay got brand new shiny set, but also wrong type.....

my bike has a smaller diameter but slightly wider barrel nipple on the cable end, that a small plastic semi barrel clip goes onto then the thing fits into the lever ok, all the new ones i have seen have bought have a smaller barrel / nipple.

i have been told that early mtb's and my marin used an oversie cable bigger than the standard 1.6mm that modern bikes have......

does this make sense and does anyone know where i can get a cable set please? pref shimano stainless set than a cheapo crap set.......

many thanks guys

karl

Pic as I vaguely remember these - a plastic clip that went around the cable end?

Certainly I remember my '90 Palisades had some really nice braided cable inners when new. Hmmm, maybe they were a bit thicker.

It's a bit of a long time ago now :?

Are these them ? :

DSC03454.jpg

WD :D

yup, 91 marins used a braided rather than wound cable. Way strong, and long lasting as its more flexable. If you can get precise dims, venhill engineering are your men. I use (essentially) motorcycle throttle cables in my hard riders (and machine ferrules to suit. . )

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Those are the babies, thought i was going nuts, and certainly couldnt get any joy at the usual shops........

Any ideas where i can buy some please?

thanks guys :p

The first set I came across I bought - ebay America :(

Saying that they were reasonable (about £17) all in and I didnt get stung for import tax etc :D

I am sure someone will be along who knows of a UK seller with them at half that cost though :LOL:

WD :D

hi

i have spotted some on......ebay....so lets see what arrives........

are all shimano m system the oversize cable? cant figure out what sort of groupset or particular phrase they use to describe these odd cables......

thanks for your help, will let you know when postie arrives

karl

arn't they just the 2mm cables we used to use ?

If I remember correctly, you just need the clip that goes around the barrel and you can use the now normal brake cables. It stops it twisting in the lever. You should be able to get away wiht the normal ones but again if I remember correctly it will more than likely twist 90 degrees and you loose the slight roatatio you had and the cable has to take the flex. Shouldn't matter though.

Actually I don't think it actually needs to be the 2mm (often called braided but are not actualy braided) but it's the obscure 8mm diameter barrel that you need and not the common 7mm barrel after I think about it a bit more. Again just hte plastic/metal over slip will be needed.

Unless you are talking about a different thing of course.

EDIT/

Either way
2mm cable pear/barrel heads with the plastic bits double ended barrel with the one you need
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Tiog ... r-6931.htm

May be other out there but for obscure things SJS is always good.
Oh and that Duracable looks nothing like DuraAce ;)

Back