wadsy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Just been having a look at this. Can anyone advise on the size? seller says it's a 17, but according to axis tt review (on here) they made 16,18 and 20. With the 18 having a 23.5 top tube, but the seller says 22.5 tt but 17 centre bb to centre top tube which would imply it's an 18 - bit confused, help please.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55696

Cheers

:?

The seller says it's a 17" measured centre to centre. IIrc DB measured centre to top which would make this frame an 18". 23.5" TT sounds like it'd be too long for an 18" frame. Someone's obviously measured inaccurately, somewhere.

Tallpaul":118kn0ks said:
It's an 18" and they do have very long top tubes.

Seatpost is 27.0mm.

That's a shame (for me!) looks like i'd need a 16, especially as I had an 18 years ago and seem to remember thinking it was just a bit too big!!! :roll:

wadsy":2lh4x4qd said:
Tallpaul":2lh4x4qd said:
It's an 18" and they do have very long top tubes.

Seatpost is 27.0mm.

That's a shame (for me!) looks like i'd need a 16, especially as I had an 18 years ago and seem to remember thinking it was just a bit too big!!! :roll:

Yeah, they are very long for their seat-tube length. This combined with the short headtubes makes them very long and low. I'm 6'4" with big long monkey arms and had an 18" Axis TT for a while, setup like this it was very comfortable:

DSC00874.jpg

Yes major thread resurrection. However I am very interested in this topic. Seriously interested in getting an 18" 1993-1997 Diamondback Axis or Apex. The geometry is confusing though. From the pictures online they seem to have a very balanced rise in the Top Tube. Not too flat but not too tall. The head tube is 4.5" for an 18" frame? Can anyone confirm? Furthermore I have two Diamondback geometry charts which state the 18" has a 22.5 inch top tube? Can this be confirmed by someone here? The Axis/Apex seems to have a more compact geometry than my GT Bravado. Not as stretched. Also looking at 1994-1997 Trek 990-970-950-930's. They have good True Temper frames and a more upright geometry it seems? I've heard they have long top tubes though? Anything over 23" would be too long. Would rather not ride a Trek honestly, but the 930-950-970-990 series is impressive. Yet those old DBR's have more swagger, they look meaner. Diamondback! Its a dangerous rattlesnake! I would be proud to ride one of those bikes around the trails and streets. Anyway, if any DBR enthusiasts can help me out it would be much appreciated. I can get ahold of a beautiful steel 96' DBR Axis (red/blue/yellow) in size 18". Thinking of pulling the trigger on it. Currently my rigid MTB is a 94 GT Bravado LE. Love it, however I am coming to terms that it is better for short, intense rides. The geometry is too stretched out and low. The top tube is totally flat and the head tube small. It is an 18" frame- 23" top tube and only a 4" head tube. GT's have a shorter top tube than usual which is why I like them. However this bike gets uncomfortable for long epic rides, 2 hours or more. The drop from the saddle to bars is too big for me. My neck hurts. My other GT fits me like a glove: 19" GT Zaskar 1996: way more comfortable: 23" top tube but 5" head tube, and slight rise in the Top Tube, it is not flat like the Bravado. So, if the Axis/Apex is truly a stretched out, "long and low" style frame, as stated above, it would not be to my interest. Please let me know enthusiasts, just a fellow mountain biker trying to decipher the geometries of these old steel stallions.

I can't recall what the head tube length was on my 94 axis TR, I remeber thinking it was pretty long and didn't look the best (but better than the super long ones on the previous year). That bike fit me perfectly though and handled wonderfully.
My GT xizang on the other hand has a very short head tube and I too am finding the drop a bit far.
I had 18 in both.

Back