I was up the chase on Sun and spent a good while speaking to James (designer) and the other guy who are Genesis!!
They had a frame there, a ss specific to see, but no demos.
James seemed quite knowledgable about the design, going through the specific tube diameters and geometry changes between ss and geared frames, chainstays with no crease, brazed gussted under downtube etc. Nice guy. Frames are not designed around wopping forks, and more a sensible ride.
I had a good look at the 725 ss frame he had, and my impressions are..
- welding looks tidy
- Geometry pretty std
- Couple of nice little touches
- But downside for me was the paint finish, bit rough for me. I know its a cheap frame, but the demo frame on show did not have a uniform smoothness. I told the guys this was my only concern, and essentially they are making to a cost, and better paint costs more!
- Also frame only comes in same colour as full bikes, which are not expensive, so loses some pimp value there
- The 725 and 853 apparently ride very similar, butthe 853 is just stronger and a touch lighter
- The 17.5" ss frame weighs about 4.74lbs
Would I buy one? Maybe. Look good, but would need to sort the paint.
Oh, and they stole the Rocky name - and called some 'Altitude'