1990 Stumpjumper, my first MTB

IbocProSX

Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
How many of us at one point rebuilt their first MTB? my guess is there's a few.

Well, I'm about to join that crowd as I've pulled the trigger on a frameset on german e-bay that I think is the one. A Stumpjumper in 51cm according the auction and in what should be a deep purple metallic over black base with pink and blue lettering. Sorry if I've been bidding against fellow RB members, but I guess I wanted it the most.

Here's the tiny e-bay picture:
fa40_1.JPG

And here's hoping the rustbugs have been kind to it

Enjoy!!

I was on the point of doing just that with a Diamond Back Topanga that came up on Ebay a few months ago - but I bid just short :( To be honest it was always going to be difficult to have it as it was as a) I can't remember all the details b) some are a bit odd - e.g. Campagnolo Bullet Shifters and a Euclid rear mech :shock:

I haven't got a picture of the bike, but I know it was DX equipped with black Specialized (BX24?) rims. And I can still go and see my old one as a good friend of mine bought it in 93-94. He's not a weekend warrior, every 2 years or so he takes it trekking for 10 days or so with panniers and a backpack. Not much of the DX drivetrain is still original, wheels have been changed and the old forks were bent in airfreight.

I sure hope the paint on this frame is what I think it is. My 91 Explosif has the perfect DX drivetrain for it so I think I'm sorted for the build. Just need to make my mind up to source a generic black post matching the stem and bars or to go custom on it, I have a nice silver Control tech stem in 1" threaded.

Enjoy!!

I've just completed payment and exchanged mails with the seller, really nice guy. He confirmed it is actually a 1990 bike.

This fits with my buying my old one used in 1992. It turns out he bought the bike new and will supply the original receipt and warranty cards etc which he has kept all this time. I may be looking through pink spectacles but that he is such an organised person gives me a good feeling about the condition of the frame too. All parts on it are original except the seatpost so I will be on the lookout for one.

Enjoy!!

Back