Do you only ride retro?

Do you own a modern bike?

• No way! Modern stuff is wierd, retro only here!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Of course, retro stuff is what garages are made for!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stick Legs

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
How many other people on this site don't own a modern bike? I have only got retro stuff, probably because bikes fell by the wayside for me a bit during my early twenties.
Is this the same for the rest of you or did you move on and just keep your old steeds?

My newest is a 1999/2000 Heckler and my oldest dates back to early 90's, can't justify getting anything newer ... everything I've got does the job perfectly :D

I'm keen on full suspention these days but I think a lot of the new stuff look as though they've got an engine missing, I like a bike to look like a bike, y'know diamond shape/2 triangle type thing, and a classic skinny steel framed xc bike still looks fab! ... just my opions ;)

:cool:

i own a 95 clockwork and a 99 rock lobster team ti. I've had newer full sus bikes but they've been stolen.
The rock lobster rides better than either of them anyway.

bought the ti by accident really... was looking for another steel xc frame, but with disk mounts and 1 1/8 headset (and less corrosion). then the team ti came up at the right price.

Have nothing built in the naughties, and only 1 of my bikes (99 Lavadome)has any form of suspension, that's the bike I use for adventure racing and duathlons so it's nice to have but not essential.

The other bikes are easy xc riders that i use on local single track, so until I start bombing down mountains in Wales on a regular basis I don't think I need anything modern with full sus..

Yup, only got the '91 Fat and the '94 AA - the type of riding I do doesn't even justify front suspension, let alone full bounce... Most modern bikes just seem to have no soul, and the ones that do are almost identical to retro bikes, but three times the price...

when i finally get some rims to build my 89' ridgback, that will be my prized poscession.
i also have a complete, all original spec 1992 gt richtor (which ill be selling soon ;) -anyone?)

ive also got an old diamond apex frame, & a 2001 gt i-drive frame aswell.

yes i ride still modern! have racing downhill since 94' & currently setting up a team for my shop. currently have a giant faith (selling) due to get a nicolai ufo st.

still ride xc aswell, normaly im out on one of our demo's or riding a thrashed dmr switchback. may get a commencal hardtail.

these days sus. bikes are so good, but the riding has changed. I remember being quite content with riding bridleways all day, (& loved it) but once i started racing dh, only then did i realise how much fun mountainbiking can be!

i will ALWAYS stick to my roots though. i ride hardtails to keep my skills in touch :D

While I'm not hardcore retro my newest is 2001 and that's a San Andreas which basically has stayed the same since 1991.

The rest are mid to late 90's, most full suss, with the worthy exception of my Dave Yates Diabolo, which I have to say after riding yesterday properly for the first time in anger, is now the favourite of my bunch. After using full suss for so long, it's really nice to 'feel' the trail again.

I like old frames with new kit on them. It's not purist but it means you generally have stuff that's light, effective and reliable and most importantly has a soul.

the missus would kill me if i bought another bike home.

so i'm stictly new school.

sant cruz blur LT, king-king-king-rc41xcam-juicy carbons-e90-xtr-xtr-xtr-xt hollow2-thomson-lightspeed-beaters-simca-simca.

but hey, it'll be old school in ten years time..

Only retro here , mainly because I can not afford the modern stuff I would like . :cry:

otherwise , I would run a modern bike , and keep the retro for summer and esay rides .

Actaully the cost issue I'd forgotten about. In the last year I have bought 6 bikes, kitted them out well etc all for less than the cost of a new bike i.e. under £1000 in total. Now I have 6 good bikes, one for each mood I'm in :D :( :evil: :shock: :cool: :oops:

Back